Brother of the bandits Baron Flynt and Captain Flynt who began his life of violence as a teen, Zane left them to join a black ops mercenary unit and has since become one of the most capable operatives in the galaxy, doing odd jobs for the highest bidder. Having taken every kind of mercenary and assassination job there is, Zane found it increasingly difficult to enjoy a moment's peace due to so many people wanting him dead. He traveled to Pandora to lay low for a while, where he was recruited into the Crimson Raiders to assist in their battles against the Children of the Vault.
- Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary (mentioned in an ECHO log)
- Borderlands 3
- Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot
- Guns, Love, and Tentacles
- Bounty of Blood
- Psycho Krieg and the Fantastic Fustercluck
- Designer's Cut
- Director's Cut
- Main article: Zane/Skill tree
Zane's unique Ability mechanic allows him to use two active abilities at the same time, at the cost of forfeiting the use of grenades. While using a second ability reassigns the Grenade button (RB/R1/G) to that skill, equipped grenade mods will remain in their loadout slot. Additionally, each of Zane's active skills have a secondary function that can be activated while the skill is in use, with the exception of the MNTIS Shoulder Cannon. Each ability slot also has its own dedicated modifier slot - progressing through Zane's skill trees will unlock modifiers that enhance how their respective ability functions.
Spawn a Digi-Clone of Zane. The Clone stays in place, but distracts and fires at enemies. Pressing the assigned Active Skill button while the Clone is active causes Zane and the Clone to swap places.
- Duration: 15 seconds
- Cooldown: 28 seconds
Send into battle an automated SNTNL drone that continually flies through the environment and attacks enemies with its Machine Guns. Pressing the assigned Active Skill button while SNTNL is active causes it to attack the enemy under Zane's crosshairs, if any.
- Machine Gun Damage: 4
- Duration: 24 seconds
- Cooldown: 60 seconds
Drop a deployable Barrier that blocks incoming projectiles. Zane and his allies can shoot through the Barrier, dealing increased Gun Damage. Pressing the assigned Active Skill button while Barrier is active picks up and holds the Barrier, but the size and bonuses are decreased.
- Duration: 14 seconds
- Cooldown: 24 seconds
- Damage Amp: +25%
Zane equips a Shoulder Mounted Cannon. Pressing the assigned Active Skill button causes Zane to fire his cannon at his crosshairs and consume one charge.
- Max Charge: 3
- Cooldown: 12 seconds
- Damage: 46
- Main article: Zane/ECHO Recorders
- Main article: Zane/Quotes
- Zane was leaked prior to the game's announcement in December 2018.
- Zane's tagline during the game's intro continues the trend of one playable character being introduced while breaking the fourth wall, with previous examples being Brick (as himself), Zer0 (as a number), and Claptrap (as a mistake).
- According to the official cosplay guide, Zane is 'brother of the infamous bandits Captain and Baron Flynt'.
- An ECHO recording in the Dahl Abandon states that Zane is Captain Flynt's younger brother, which would directly make him Sparky Flynt's uncle.
- Zane himself also confirms that both Baron and Captain are his brothers in response to BALEX during The Family Jewel, and that their supposed titles are actually their first names.
- Zane also has at least one unnamed sister according to one of his quotes.
- Zane knew Zer0 back from going to the same "assassin bars".
- When meeting Mad Moxxi on Sanctuary III, he recounts that they shared a weekend together at a casino.
- His left eye under his eyepatch is a cybernetic as shown in his alternate heads.
- Zane is familiar with Clay, mentioning that the two had previously worked together on a smuggling operation on Junpai-7 at some point.
- Zane claims to have a lot of middle names, among them being:
- "Deathbringer" (kill quote)
- "Ferocity" (kill quote)
- "Sharpshooter" (kill quote)
- "Careful" (quote during Cannonization)
- "Charisma" and "Charm" (quote during Baby Dancer)
- "Lucky" (quote during The Handsome Jackpot)
- "Danger" (quote during The Party Out of Space)
- "Eulogy" (quote during Laid to Rust)
- This may simply be a reference to how some characters in various movies, tv shows, and cartoons often brag on themselves, saying things like "danger is my middle name" if a situation is dangerous, or "caution is my middle name" if advised to be careful, etc.
- Zane often refers to the SNTNL drone as "Zoomer".
- Zane has a bounty put on him by Cutlord Karuu, Hyperion, Hephaestus United, Maliwan, Pangolin, and the Obsidian Block.
- According to several articles, Zane is very much a loner despite being extroverted and has a pansexual orientation.
- He is married in a couple of star systems.
- He is in his fifties.
- He can walk into any bar and someone would want to hug him, and someone would want to kill him.
- He loves talking to his Digi-Clone and is full of charisma, jokes, and charm, as well as spewing Irish gems and using his SNTNL.
- He dislikes humorless people, suspects people not getting upfront things out of jobs, and hates the homogeneous worship culture promoted by the Calypso twins because they want to round up everyone into an all-obeying cult.
- According to his dialogue in Guns, Love, and Tentacles, Zane's greatest fear is birds, which is so prominent that he hasn't even eaten a chicken nugget in his life.
- Zane's favorite thing about Tyreen Calypso (according to dialogue in the mission Pandora's Next Top Mouthpiece) is her "can-do attitude".
- Zane's favorite ice cream flavor is cherry-vanilla. (He mentions this after killing General Traunt)
- Zane's quote to Clay of "Is there another way? Maybe down by the bay? Whaddya say?" is a reference to the 1996 movie Happy Gilmore.
- The original quote is "How about I just go eat some hay? I can make things out of clay and lay by the bay. I just may! Whaddya say?"