Special Weapon Effects
I'm really more of a pie person. – Always radiation. Fires a projectile that travels a short distance before exploding, splitting into two mortars that explode and split a second time.
Usage & Description
The Yellowcake boasts absurd damage values and as such is one of the most powerful weapons in the game. However, like most weapons, it must be utilized properly for maximum effectiveness. Its signature trait is its dividing mortar shots. Mortars can be blocked by physical objects such as terrain or enemies, so direct hits are not recommended. Instead, the explosions of each shot during flight are what deal the majority of the weapon's damage and are enough to kill even the toughest badasses in one shot.
Its optimal range is about 8 to 10 meters from the target. The initial projectile travels straight, and subsequent mortars are then affected by gravity. A "sweet spot" hit would have the initial explosions occurring directly in front of the target. Larger targets can be damaged by both explosions with a well-aimed shot.
The weapon's downsides are its extremely high heat generation and range limitations. It can fire ~4 shots before overheating, while x2 variants can only fire ~2 (these values appear to be bugged on the display card). Additionally, it only performs best at medium range. At close range, it has a high chance of crippling the character while also not dealing full damage to enemies with direct hits at point-blank. At long range the mortars cannot travel far enough to hit the target and are also extremely slow-moving, making them easy to dodge. The ideal angle for a maximum range shot is about 45 degrees. Higher than that and the mortars will explode in midair.
- The Yellowcake's high self-inflicted damage at close range can be partially negated by using a Red Suit shield, as the shield provides 100% resistance to radiation damage, though the weapon also does high amounts of explosive splash damage.
- After the patch on June 11, 2020, the Yellowcake was massively nerfed, with its damage cut in half, as well as its projectiles being heavily nerfed as well.
- Because the Yellowcake was only obtainable during an event that's no longer active, it is not possible to get a variant higher than level 65 without editing the save file. It also cannot have terror anointments without save file editing.
- The Yellowcake is the first COV legendary rocket launchers and one of the first ones to possess an alien barrel.
- The weapon's name is a reference to Yellowcake, a powder byproduct of processing uranium.