Widowmaker is a spiderant boss that is encountered during the mission A Bug Problem. This enemy is very distinctive due to his dark blue/purple and green colouration. Widowmaker first spawns after a Retching Seeps sample is removed from a deposit in Rust Commons East, and will keep on respawning after the mission is completed whenever someone passes through his spawn point.
Widowmaker got his name because he has killed every would-be exterminator that ever attempted to kill him. (From the official Borderlands guide)
Widowmaker attacks targets at long range with balls of white liquid from his abdomen. At close range, he stomps with both front legs at enemies in close proximity, creating a shockwave that causes damage and knockback. As an alternative to the shockwave, Widowmaker has a corrosive stomp consisting of a close range stomp with a corrosive burst wave. He also has the ability to burrow in combat, a trait unique to himself among other spiderants.
Like all spiderants, Widowmaker has a weak abdomen. The easiest way to attack this area is to flank him in order to hit his abdomen.
As with all spiderants, shooting his armored head causes him to flinch. This stops movement and causes the spiderant to clumsily turn and expose his abdomen for a few seconds before he recovers.
Unlike other spiderants, Widowmaker will not strike with his front legs. Dodging his shock wave while moving forward is key. Staying behind an obstacle in order to block his projectiles is a good strategy. Another is to attack from the safety of the nearby shack.
Attempting to run over Widowmaker, while possible, may lead to the destruction of the Outrunner with all the Vault Hunters inside; at lower levels, Widowmaker is too strong to be killed by simply running him over.
- Before Widowmaker spawns, the ground shudders and kicks up a dust cloud.
- Widowmaker is invulnerable to pure corrosive DOT, such as that from a Rain Grenade or Eridian Weapons
- It is possible for Widowmaker to fail to spawn after taking the geyser sample. When the ground shakes due to his burrowing, it is possible for him to end up underneath one of the geysers when he would normally emerge from the ground. This prevents him from appearing.
- Standing directly on top of where the Widowmaker emerges from the ground will cause the Vault Hunter to repeatedly jump.
- Widowmaker has a chance to drop Elemental Artifacts upon death.