CleanupTo meet Borderlands quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving, spell-checking and/or trimming the article.
Vermivorous the Invincible is the name of the highest level varkid in Borderlands 2, with the alternative title of Supreme Badass Varkid. Varkids which reach this stage are regarded as raid bosses, and can only spawn in True Vault Hunter Mode and Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
Vermivorous has more health than Terramorphous the Invincible, but since the fight does not restrict use of cover, buying equipment, or respawning (provided the varkids stay in combat to avoid despawning), no special strategy is needed. Players will probably spend more time trying to spawn Vermivorous than fighting it.
Vermivorous is similar to a regular Ultimate Badass Varkid, though it is stronger. It can provide a barrage of corrosive balls, summon small explosive varkids which track the players (similar to missiles), and stomp targets in close proximity. Vermivorous can fly, though has no clear preference between ground and air. Much like the Badass Varkid, it can charge the players while grounded, but at near instant speeds. Unlike the Super Badass Varkid, it cannot burrow underground.
Areas in which large numbers of varkids are found are ideal for getting Vermivorous to spawn. Varkids can be found in abundance within the Caustic Caverns and the Tundra Express - Farmhouse, both of them with convenient Fast Travel stations near the varkid spawn areas. It is also possible for the Ultimate Badass Varkid which spawns in the Creature Slaughter Dome to level up to Vermivorous the Invincible, but this requires the corresponding DLC.
The first area of the Caustic Caverns contains a large group of varkids that continuously spawn. It is possible to get these varkids to attack nearby crystalisks, allowing the vault hunters to safely observe evolution.
The Tundra Express Farmhouse provides another area with large numbers of varkids. The varkids cannot enter the farmhouse, so players can take cover inside, though they will still be vulnerable to the Badass Varkid's projectiles. As there aren't any closer enemies, it is also easier for varkids to leave combat and become inactive. After some time a group of buzzards will appear.
There are three ways to instantly kill Vermivorous: The first is if the team is able to lure her in front of the train running through Tundra Express. The second way is in Caustic Caverns near the first fast travel station. If the players close the first set of doors while Vermivorus is standing near them, then immediately open the same door, it will result in her death. The third and final way is with Zer0's B0re skill. If Vermivorous is attacking a crystalisk, it is possible to bounce a bullet off the crystalisk's leg into Vermivorous. If done properly, B0re will activate; killing Vermivorous instantly.
- A hotfix released on March 12 increased the quality of loot Vermivorous drops once killed.
- A hotfix released on November 9, 2015 increased the spawn rates of Vermivorous in singleplayer mode.
- A legendary item is almost guaranteed to drop, including Norfleet.
- The 'suicide varkids' frequently released by Vermivorous can be used to achieve a Second Wind. Shooting them counts to the Hurly Burly challenge.
- Vermovorous has a surprisingly non-aggressive AI, even when attacked, and as such can sometimes decide to wander off from the battlefield if it is not regularly attacked. Players are advised to try and keep track of the monster and keep hitting it, even if it is risky to do so.
- If Vermivorous escapes the players' sight, whether because it has wandered off or has been lured far away from the immediate area of combat by enemies, it has a good chance of vanishing into thin air, frustrating players' efforts to kill it and collect the resulting loot.
- Within Caustic Caverns there is a small alcove located in the very back of the small area that players arrive in, immediately south of the vending machines and Fast Travel station. The archway next to the small door provides almost complete protection from Varkids of every evolutionary stage -Larval and Badass Varkids will go there only very, very rarely, Super Badass Varkids won't go there at all, and the flying varkid varieties from Adult to Vermivorous will sometimes follow a character there, only to 'clip' inside the ceiling of the arch, which will in turn render their most of their acid spit attacks useless.
- The small, narrow doorway which is the top level entrance/exit to Dahl Deep Core 06 (this doorway being a small distance away from the 'cave' in which arrivals to the Caustic Caverns first appear) has a thin door frame inside which provides 100% protection from varkid attacks of every sort; however, players who try to take advantage of this hiding spot - and there is literally room for only one player to take advantage of this full immunity - may find it difficult to impossible to chase after a wandering Vermivorous should the need arise (the amassed varkids at the door will not only provide a physical obstacle, they will also use their close-range melee attack to drive the Vault Hunter back).
- As Vermivorous is not a fixed or scripted spawn, it is possible for other varkids to mutate into Vermivorous, even if one is already spawned. Although very rare, this can lead to multiple Vermivorouses spawning in one area, particularly if the area has many varkids.
- The Latin root "vermi" means "worms", so the name Vermivorous literally means "worms-eater".
- Vermivorous is a female.