The Transformer is a legendary absorb shield in Borderlands 2 manufactured by Vladof. It is obtained randomly from any suitable loot source but has an increased chance to drop from Pimon located in Wildlife Exploitation Preserve.
Special Shield Effects
There's more than your eye can see. – Does not receive shock damage-over-time and shock damage recharges the shield. Increased capacity but reduced recharge rate, recharge delay and absorb chance.
Usage & Description
Although the Transformer does not have an exceptional bonus to absorb chance, it has an additional ability to recharge from shock damage. In particular, it is effective when fighting loaders and surveyors because of their electrical bolt attacks.
The immunity to electrocution damage-over-time quality also means the vault hunter can step inside the shielded area of an ION Loader without taking damage from its lightning attack.
The Transformer has a maximum bullet absorption chance of 42%. This is lower than a generic purple rarity Vladof Absorb Shield which can have an absorption chance of up to 49%.
- Some sources of shock damage will still deal damage to the wielder, notably shock barrels and projectiles fired by Badass Shock Skags.
- Certain unique shock weapons, such as the Thunderball Fists and shock Splatguns, can be used to recharge The Transformer.
- The total amount of absorbed shock damage from a single source cannot exceed the total shield capacity; any surplus damage will be subtracted from a character's health, bypassing the shield completely.
- Enemies with shock damage tend to not exceed the shield capacity in a single shot or attack (provided the item level of The Transformer is on par with the enemy level). However, Vault Hunters are still susceptible to harm from shock damage that exceeds their total shield capacity; most notably Badasses and weapons capable of friendly fire like shock damage grenades, rocket launchers and unique shock weapons.
- For an Anarchy Mechromancer, this can turn a shield recharge strategy with weapons such as Thunderball Fists into an involuntary suicide strategy as Gaige gathers more Anarchy stacks.
- The Transformer is one of the twenty items unlocked through use of a SHiFT code included in the Diamond Plate Loot Chest. The caption printed on its card reads "Warning: in 99% of tests, this shield did not morph its wearer into a truck.
- The name and flavor text are a combined reference to the media franchise of the same name with one of its slogans being "More Than Meets the Eye".
- The special effect of The Transformer is based on electrical transformers, which is used on electricity networks to increase the voltage for low-voltage electricity in order to facilitate it for civilian or industrial use.