The Rough Rider is a unique shield in Borderlands 2 manufactured by Jakobs. It is exclusive to the Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt DLC and can be obtained as a rare drop from The Bulwark in Hunter's Grotto.
Special Shield Effects
It takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. – 0 shield capacity. Increases resistance to all damage types by 20%. Increases maximum health.
Usage & Description
The Rough Rider's notable trait is that it has 0 shield capacity, offset by a damage resistance and health boost. Its damage modification and health-boosting helps out a defensive/regenerative build (including but not limited to - a character using Miss Moxxi weapons, transfusion grenades, a Zer0 build focusing around Resurgence, or a Krieg build utilizing the Mania tree.)
A character equipped with the Rough Rider will benefit from all talents which activate "when shields are depleted" until they equip a different shield, but all talents and bonuses which activate when shields are full will not apply as long as the Rough Rider is equipped. Anything that reduces shield capacity based on a certain amount will prevent the shield-down effects from triggering, however. Items that increase the shield's capacity will cause it to function like a regular shield.
- Feed the Meat won't have drawbacks; Empty the Rage presents its full bonus; Embrace the Pain is always active
- Fuel the Rampage, Salt the Wound and Release the Beast are more efficient (since all damage will be health damage).
- Meat and Legendary Psycho class mods benefit unequivocally from this shield (none of his skills require having full shields and many of them provide increased benefits with a depleted shield)
- The Rough Rider is the only shield to be permanently drained.
- Technically, the Rough Rider has a shield capacity of 100 that is permanently drained. This inactive capacity is viewable when using a Med Vendor.
- The shield's name and red text quote refer to President Theodore Roosevelt, founder of the military group the "Rough Riders", and the "Bull Moose" political party. After being shot, he spoke publicly: "Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."