Terror is a debuff found in Borderlands 3. Enemies that grant Terror or items that generate Terror can only be found during the seasonal Bloody Harvest and Bloody Harvest Returns events, although items with Terror anointments can be used outside of the event (including weapons that generate Terror).
The character can become Terrified in two ways:
- Get hit by a ghost, loot ghost, or badass ghost.
- Use an anointment that generates Terror. These can spawn on weapons, grenades and shields. (See below for list of Terror anointments).
Every stack lasts 15 seconds, and the character can have a maximum of 3 stacks of Terror. The duration resets after a stack is added. (Amara's Anima skill won´t increase the duration). The number of Terror stacks is indicated by the green swirling effect around the edges of field of view.
While Terrified, the character’s weapons suffer from reduced accuracy. The more stacks the character has, the less accurate their guns become. If the character has a shield or grenade with an anointment that grants a positive effect while terrified, all of their weapons will not lose accuracy while Terrified. Anointments that grant Terror do not stop the accuracy debuff. Bloody Harvest exclusive items do not receive the accuracy debuff.
Gear that is exclusive to the Bloody Harvest event has the following effects when the character is Terrified:
- Fearmonger: More projectiles per shot
- Stalker: More projectiles per shot
- Ghast Call: More skulls generated
- Scream of Terror: Pacifies or stuns enemies
List of Terror Anointments
Terror anointments can drop from any suitable loot source, but only during the Bloody Harvest event. Guns spawn with all Terror anointments, shields spawn with most Terror anointments, and grenade mods spawn with the least amount of Terror anointments.
- While Terrified, gain increased crit damage. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.
- Crit Damage Increase: 50 / 75 / 100% for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- While Terrified, deal 75% bonus cryo damage.
- This bonus is the same at 1, 2 or 3 stacks of Terror.
- Cryo damage is applied to all damage the character deals, including grenades, Action Skills, and melee.
Weapons and Shields
- While Terrified, gain ammo regeneration. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.
- Ammo Regeneration: 5 / 11 / 16 % of magazine size per second for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- While Terrified, enemy bullets have chance to reflect off of you. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.
- Bullet Deflection: 70 / 85 / 100 % chance of reflection for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- Operative Anointment: While Terrified, SNTNL has 100% lifesteal.
- Beastmaster Anointment: After Using Attack Command, consume all Terror and FL4K's pet gains 200% bonus fire damage for a short time.
Weapons, Shields, and Grenade Mods
- On Action Skill End, heal for 25% of max health, effect is increased by 15% per Terror stack. Consumes all Terror.
- Max health Healed: 25 / 40 / 55 / 70 % health healed for 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- While Terrified, reduce all incoming damage by a small amount. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.
- The Damage Reduction is 10 / 20 / 30 % for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- While Terrified, gain health regeneration. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.
- The Regeneration is 4 / 6 / 8 % of max health per second for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- While Terrified, gain increased damage and fire rate. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.
- Damage Increase: 15 / 25 / 35% for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- Fire Rate: 7 / 14 / 21% for 1 / 2 / 3 stacks of Terror.
- Siren Anointment: After Phasegrasping an enemy, Amara fires Terror skulls at the grasped target dealing X damage.
- Gunner Anointment: On reload, consume all Terror and create an ice nova.
Generate Terror (Can Spawn on Guns, Shields or Grenades)
- On Action Skill End, apply Terror to yourself every 3 seconds for the next 18 seconds.
- Melee Attacks have a 25% chance to apply Terror to yourself.
- This can spawn on the Face-puncher, which can be used as a way to generate Terror easily without having a shield or grenade that grants Terror.
- Shields and grenades can also spawn with this anointment, allowing the Face-Puncher or Stinger shield to activate the anointment while the item is equipped.
- The “While Terrified, you have a chance to fire an extra projectile per shot. The more Terror you have, the higher the bonus.” anointment was removed after the first Bloody Harvest event, as it was reportedly very buggy.
- The Fearmonger and the Stalker almost always spawn with Terror anointments. While it is possible for it to spawn with normal anointments, it is extremely rare. They can also spawn with anointments that generate Terror, allowing them to be used without other Terror anointments after Bloody Harvest ends.
- The Ghast Call and the Scream of Terror can never spawn with any anointments, even Terror anointments.
- Most Terror related anointments were buffed between the first Bloody Harvest and Bloody Harvest Returns.
- Terror anointments cannot be found on non-Bloody Harvest event exclusive items, such as the O.P.Q. System, Fish Slap, or Wedding Invitation, without save file editing. This also includes any weapons added after Bloody Harvest Returns, such as the Plasma Coil.
- If closely listened to, screams and groans can be heard while Terrified. These are psycho screams with the volume lowered and a slight reverb effect added.