Terramorphous the Invincible is a raid boss in Borderlands 2. It was conceived as a tougher follow-up to Crawmerax the Invincible found in the Secret Armory of General Knoxx add-on from Borderlands.
Terramorphous is an enormous unique thresher that is only accessible once the main story has been completed. Terramorphous can be fought multiple times for the cost of 8 Eridium to access Terramorphous Peak, and will drop different loot each time, including legendary items.
It is revealed in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel that Jack's band of Vault Hunters (Wilhelm, Nisha, Claptrap, and Athena) were indirectly responsible for introducing the Thresher species, which is actually native to Pandora's moon, Elpis, to Pandora itself, by smuggling two juvenile specimens to Sir Hammerlock. Hammerlock proceeded to nickname the male Thresher "Terry", which later became the largest thresher on Pandora.
- Main article: You. Will. Die. (Seriously.)
- Terramorphous can drop multiple items exclusive to it:
- Terramorphous the Invincible has an increased chance to drop the legendary Pitchfork sniper rifle.
- Terramorphous's tentacles are spelled with one "R" missing, making them "Teramorphous".
- Terramorphous was teased at Borderlands 2's release, which advertised that the game specifically contains a raid boss.
- Terramorphous can be seen from the waterfall area at The Bunker.
- When a character spawns Terramorphous in its area, the one that is seen swimming goes under the map, which is visible through noclipping. Sometimes, the Terramorphous under the map can be heard and even spawn tentacles to attack after the boss itself is defeated.
- Terramorphous was designed to be fought by four level 50 characters.
- Randy Pitchford has stated that one Gearbox employee has figured out a build in which he was able to solo the battle while publicly displaying the fight at the Gearbox Community Day.
- The flavor texts on the unique Terramorphous's loot that it drops (the Teeth of Terramorphous shotgun, the Breath of Terramorphous grenade mod, the Hide of Terramorphous shield and the Blood of Terramorphous relic) put in order make this poem:
- His teeth made them flee in shame,
- His breath was of fire.
- His hide turned the mightiest tame;
- His blood could inspire.
- "Terra" means "earth" or "land" in Latin, and to morph means to change, so Terramorphous' name literally translates to "Earth Changer", a fitting name for a thresher of its magnitude.