previously from gearbox
It might be worth noting somewhere in the article that this final boss is incredibly similar to the final boss of Half Life: Opposing Force, another Gearbox game.
Ok it was a normal day an I was looking around Youtube when I saw something interesting. Some person claims to have gotten a special gun that does like 20K dmg and has a fire rate of 20 from killing The Destroyer on Playthrough 2. I gotta know is this even possible? Themanwiththeplan February, 10 2010
70k + melee strikes
With a hunter that had 5 points in lethal strike, a +4 lethal strike assasin mod, and a +200% melee revolver, I was able to run up to his left extended tentacle and hit him repeatedly for 70k + damage each swipe. It was making strange noises as if I was hitting him more than once at a time. He died in less than a minute. Note this is when he wraps his tentacles around the pillars after getting halfway dead. Before this point you can run up to his left side and swipe for around 20k damage, even though it looks like there is nothing close enough to hit. Look for the red reticle when you are pointing at the brick under him.
- I did the same thing with a Sniper with only 1/5 Lethal Strike, a Sniper classmod (so no bonus to L.S.), and a Jagged-accessory shotgun (Sledge's Shotgun). Furthermore, this was PT2, so the Destroyer was two levels above my character's level, and running solo on 4-person difficulty for further increased enemy health. Slashing the tentacle weakened the Destroyer more quickly than repeatedly firing into the eye critical zone with the character's most powerful sniper rifle, Sniper-com amplified. The strikes did a widely varying amount of damage. Dämmerung 00:09, April 24, 2012 (UTC)
SPOILER! Easy way to defeat the Destroyer
So if you don't want to know the easy way and like to do things for yourself, then don't read this post :) ... ... ... ... I spent a good deal of time attempting(and miserably failing)to kill The Destroyer. I took him down to about half health around 4 times then would always die. On my final attempt I noticed a big block of stone to the left of the starting position (the kind in the dig site, got the funny shiny swirlies on it) that had a base with several blocks stacked in front. The height of the front blocks is enough to foil any of the destroyer's eye-laser or thorn-rain attacks and the blocks you stand on keep you elevated enough that his shockwave attack doesn't hurt you. I just basically sat there for maybe 15 mins and wailed on him with my Double Anarchy and killed him without a scratch, try it for yourself GOOD LUCK!! BS I tried this on both sides and the shockwave and thorns still get u
Similarly, there is a certain point on the inner cairns of stones where you can shoot at the eye without the laser ever touching you, even while you are firing straight into it. Simply destroy the new spike tentacles by shooting their purple bulb things, then hide there and fire continuously.
(doesnt work for ps3 as a heads up)
126.96.36.199 03:28, October 27, 2009 (UTC)Xsandman.32
Yeah after the usual shoot -> take cover -> shoot again tactic failed due to those grenade-like spikes I found a pretty easy way to kill it. Just keep a decent amount of distance and strafe back and forth from near the front of it to one side. If you keep moving (shooting while you do) you should avoid most of it's attacks. You might get hit once in awhile by the shockwave and have to stop behind cover to avoid the beam, but you should kill it without your shield ever being fully depleted. I solo'd it about 90% with a pistol this way and only changed guns because i ran out of ammo.
DLou 14:26, October 30, 2009 (UTC)
There's an even easier way to do it too. If you go as far left as you can, you end up being right next to his tentacle. Pack a fast, fast gun such as double anarchy or a thanatos and just run next to it and hold down the trigger for 3-4 minutes. It's really easy, and kind of defeats the purpose of killing the destroyer (I mean what kind of destroyer is THAT stupid?))
All i did was run right up to his face with double anarchy and unload, his big attacks dont do anything from that close, so just use health kits and you will tear him down in just a few seconds
Easiest way to kill destroyer! Chuck a couple explosive mirv or bouncing betty grenades in that wide-open, fleshy, exposed (need I go on) mouth of it. The grenades just stay there in the mouth until they detonate and do massive damage each. 10 second battle win.
Where'd you find out that the Eridians imprisoned the Destroyer at the cost of their civilisation? Is it somewhere in the story that i've missed? xD --LysanderLSD 19:22, November 11, 2009 (UTC)
As far as I can tell, it was in one of the ECHO recordings; I'll look for it. --HybridDragoness 05:45, November 26, 2009 (UTC)
None of these tips work for me .... I've been trying all of them off and on for 3 hours ... not my first day off the turnip truck either.
Playthrough 2 Introduction Cutscene Glitch
After chewing my way through Playthrough 2 I discovered a strange glitch during the Destroyer introduction cutscene... As those on Playthrough 2 are probably aware, the fast travel system will unlock areas as soon as you are up to that phase in the story. After I recieved the mission to go and find Commandant Steele, "The Vault" became a fast travel location. Naturally (being level 50 already and not wanting to run the Eridian Gauntlet beforehand) I decided to fast travel there. Anyway to the point: After a nice picturesque loading screen for a few seconds I was greeted by the usual cutscene of the Commandant opening the vault, but then I noticed my HUD was still onscreen -- crosshair, health and everything. Even stranger than that I could fire and see my shots on-screen! The cinematic camera was being used as my point of reference for my shots! Throughout the cutscene I unloaded a good 3 clips into the Destroyer before the cutscene ended -- and yet again to my amazement he had lost the tiniest bit of health (He's a bitch to kill in Playthrough 2... <.<) So... has anyone else had this glitch? Pretty sure I didn't do anything special, it just seems to have glitched out with the loading sequence...? --Seffyr Llanir 13:12, November 14, 2009 (UTC)
Hi, I'm kamakazie jack. I know of this glitch and can conferm it. On most cutscenes, (if your not the host) on xbox live, you can try to skip past like on one player. Well... every time that I try, my hud pops up. Iv'e shot doctor zed... hell, ive even killed the destroyer! (LVL 50 GEAR BOX MEMBER!) Not that hard to do now is it?
This destroyer sounds very similiar to the forgotten one/old gods of world of warcraft, anyone else believe so it raises tentacles like the forgotten one, it was sealed away similiar to old gods
>C'thun the one your thinking of was actually based of Cthulu, however i agree it does look alot like the forgotten one from W3 TFT
- It is bound to be similar to a great many things. Sauron in Lord of the Rings, various old ones from Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos, the Ogdru Jahad in Hellboy. I was personally reminded of the end boss from the Guild Wars expansion, Eye of the North. -- WarBlade 06:17, November 18, 2009 (UTC)
- I would consider it a Great Old One as WarBlade says. Is it possible to put in the trivia section? AvatarofCthulhu 21:35, February 4, 2012 (UTC)
- WarBlade's point (two years ago...) was that it is not specifically a Great Old One. There is no shortage of tentacled cthonian surprises beyond Lovecraft, and the Vault is not particularly like R'lyeh. (Besides, the whole point of Lovecraft's eldritch horrors was that no Vault Hunter could have even the remotest chance of punching it back to Carcosa....) You would have to make a case uniquely linking the Destroyer to the big C, and supply an external link confirming your observation per this wiki's Trivia Policy. Dämmerung 16:42, February 5, 2012 (UTC)
you could run a forum to back up your idea of destroyer = GOO. i personally disagree as Phil does not trouble the subconscious minds of men. Phil possesses no powers other than tentacle stomp and eye beam, and Phil's existence does not make a mockery of all humankind and its achievements.17:29, February 5, 2012 (UTC)
I happened to get a second wind by breaking one of its tentacles with a combat rifle. Also, the glowing purple bulbs on the tentacles seem to register as separate enemies (as far as I remember, they had their own red dot in the compass bearing module). Can anyone confirm this? --HybridDragoness 10:32, November 22, 2009 (UTC)
I think they do count as seperate enemies. As well as registering on the compass as enemies they also give you the "On Kill" buffs (Buffs that activate after killing an enemy), which can help speed the process along if you get downed and/or have "On Kill" buffs (Such as increased damage, firing rate etc).--Seffyr Llanir 13:12, November 29, 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the confirmation: I might as well add a little something about it in the article. --HybridDragoness 08:24, November 30, 2009 (UTC) Yes the tentacles are treated by the game as separate enemies. I also got a second wind when killing them. The tentacles also give experience,but it was only 2xp.User:Kovacslorand6,22:22,July 27, 2010
I can also confirm getting a second wind by killing one of the purple tentacles.
Was the destroyer easy and quick for anyone else the first time?
Is it just me, or was the Destroyer disappointingly easy on the first playthrough? I was using Roland and took him out in less than 45 seconds just by spraying his face with a Combat Rifle. I never even lost my shields. Am I just so epic like that (I kid, I kid), or did I just get lucky/fight a glitched Destroyer? -Beetle179 17:17, January 9, 2010 (UTC)
- me and a friend just beat him in playthrough 1 and he was ridiculously easy, but we were a level 35 hunter and soldier so it kind of made sense. -- 188.8.131.52 07:03, January 11, 2010 (UTC)
You guys serious? I killed destroyer without taking any damage just by spamming crits with sniper... Critzone: His mouth.
2 Shot Kill...(actually 2 grenade explosions). 2 Explosive mirvs in his mouth. The grenades stayed in his mouth and each did around 240 a piece. Win.
The destroyer was ridiculasly(yeah i cant spell) easy for me i killed him bymyself without putting up much of a fight...for a being who is supposed to be invinclble king wee wee gave me more trouble than him...why didnt(and this might count as a spoiler) he just get a human host the guardian angel said he wasnt invincible "in this reality" unless he'd get a humman host why didnt he just get steele as a host...but yeah i guess i get it u have to win in the end its a game...waste of a final boss Ghost X14 02:08, June 16, 2010 (UTC)
The Destroyer kept raping me over ten times until I went over and hid behind the closer left pillar and shooting at his damn eye. He wouldn't be that hard without his annoying,stupid spear tentacles.[[User:Kovacslorand6,22:27,July 26,2010
Berserker VS Destroyer
I finished the Destroyer with my lvl 32 Berserker. First i hid behind the rocks that looked like boxes and unloaded on Destroyer's eyes until i ran out of ammo... -_-. After thinking a bit with Destroyer's health almost empty i used my action skill and ran around to see if i could pound on him without getting all up in his/ it's grill. On the opposite side of my hiding place one of Destroyer's arms was around a rock, close to the ground. I ran over and finished him/it off with a few punches and pounds.
Berserker VS Destroyer
The blocks to the left work great. Even easier is the fact that there is a crack between the blocks that you can shoot through and never expose yourself to return fire.
i joined a co op game and after beating krom i got the trophy for beating all the bosses but its my first playthrough and im only like half way through the game
Actully when you beat Krom youare about 3/4 through the game and that glitch is possibe by the way . . . A MAJOR GLITCH
Easiest way for killing the Destroyer
I tried shooting at its eye for ages and just kept dieing because of those exploding thorns. I then found out if you shoot its arms(the purple bit) that fire the thorns, its arm dies for a period of time. When all arms are down it easy to shoot it eye, becareful the eye will shoot lasers at you if the arms are down once in a while. Thats the easiest way to kill the destroyer!
I tried all of the other tactics on this forum and yours was the only one that worked the rest of these geeks are liars and from the sound of it cover up thier suckieness with lies of conquest. What a bunch of lieing toolbags. You would own these guys at any game anyday of the week thanks for being the soul person here thats not full of total shit.
On both playthroughs i have found that as long as i don't move from the position i start in then the destroyer won't attack me at all and i can take it down quickly its like it doesn't recognise i'm there cause i haven't crossed the threshold for the battle or something - makes it kind of an easy and extremely boring fight. Anyone else seen this sort of thing? Elite~Anarchist 13:29, July 3, 2010 (UTC)
- on your advice i tried this. i took one hit from a tongue lash and 2 flying thorns. this may have been because i was shooting the thorn pods and that may have been unnecessary. i was moved by the tongue attack, other than that i did not more at all. no eye beams at all. nice catch EA. 04:50, July 4, 2010 (UTC)
nuked him with nade, gave him a extra pair of tentacels
I played alone with a lv. 40 siren. What i did was i ran up close and dropped 5 explosive rain nades on his head. And suddenly he had an extra set of the tentacelse (IE 2 out of one hole),. Anyone else managed to do this? 184.108.40.206 19:28, October 14, 2010 (UTC) Noko
Yeah, that's happened to mee too, except i was barraging him with an Ogre MG. After a few clips, two extra tentacles popped out, it was wierd.
PT 2 Destroyer level scaling?
Made a new character at patch 1.4.1 on XBOX 360. Power-leveled him to 69 via splitscreen, then went through playthrough 1 and 2. Didn't really change a thing, EXCEPT... The Destroyer was level 70. Lot of HP, took over 15 minutes to kill (glad I remembered to bring a regenerating x7 Savage Equalizer). He dropped a level 44 Incendiary artificact for Mordecai, and a level 55 blue Assassin mod.
I wonder, has he always been under PT 2.5 scaling rules? Wouldn't have been noticable before Knoxx, and I didn't go check when Knoxx came out. So this might not be new, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. QK 02:04, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes. The switch is Find Steele, and the Destroyer is right after that. -- WarBlade 04:14, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Did not know that, thanks. - QK 13:05, November 22, 2010 (UTC)
- Shooting a Nidhogg from behind the pillars is just about the perfect range for the mirv effect. Deals multiple insane crit damage. -- Noob wiki editor
- The only thing that has changed is that 1.4.1 has made it so that enemies outside of DLC will still scale to your level even with the 11 extra levels from Knoxx. They did not before, which is probably why you didn't notice. -- AOTKorby, who has yet to register on this wiki
- I'm colorblind, so I can't speak to the color of the tentacles involved, but there were definitely two sets of them involved. Starts off with just two of the spike thrower tentacles, then after some damage two big tentacles came out and wrapped around some of the ruins around. I'm not sure if the ground-pounder tentacles appeared at the same time or not, I was mostly hiding behind a pillar because of the eye beam, but I believe they came out separately later. The big grippy tentacles do take damage; just not very much. The 158 damage support combat rifle I was hitting them with was doing ~45 points per hit. Same rifle did more damage on the eye and the throwing tentacles, upwards of four figures on a crit. The shockwave was done by tentacles that would just lift and slam down, making a Sledge type tossback (Much larger, of course), but otherwise mainly just sit there. The tongue would stab at me, but I found a spot way off to the left behind a pillar where the eyebeam wouldn't reach, so I could just plink the eye without fear, until the tentacles lifted for the slam, and until it regenerated four of the spike thrower ones. (First playthrough). --Azaram 12:53, February 28, 2012 (UTC)
Hi. The destroyer can be kild just by shooting the arm holding around one of the pilars, just make sure to have ammo.Hide behind one of the arches one the left side and fire away at the arm holding the pilar.
Best Weapons for Killing Destroyer / Soldier
Best Weapons for killing the Destroyer?
On Playthrough2, level 52 soldier, I tried 3 guns:
1) fire elemental glorious havoc (72 mag, about 192 damage each shot) -- only did about 130 damage per shot, can't seem to hit the eye as this glorious havoc has no scope. Takes a few seconds to empty the mag.
2) explosive elemental liquic havoc (9 mag, 300+ damage each shot plus criticals) -- only did about 350 damage normal, 3000 if I get a critical, but aiming at the eye doesn't always get me a critical. Hmmm?
3) terrible shotgun (no elemental) (22 mag, 12 shots at 120 each) -- does 4000+ damage PER trigger pull at the tentacles wrapped around the columns.
How about some empirical samples from those who play the other classes?
discussion removed from page
The Destroyer was apparently a godlike entity that the Eridians sealed away in order to protect the universe, at the cost of their civilization. However, there are several factors that may show that as a farce or misconception. The nature of the vaults seems to act, to begin with, as a dimensional gate and storage unit. Then there is the very existence of The Warrior, a living superweapon of enormous power. The power it displayed could realistically obliterate The Destroyer, which was dispatched by four on foot warriors, while The Warrior required a orbital bombardment to make sure it was dead.
The Destroyer's story as a galaxy destroyer may be a fabrication made by Angel, and in extension Handsome Jack, in order to further deceive the Vault Hunters. - Thorondragon
Hi folks - can someone unlock this page? The Destroyer is integral to the plot of Borderlands 3, and the page will need to be updated either with the relevant information or with links to a separate page. FrankBlort (talk) 00:21, September 16, 2019 (UTC)