Roland, as in Roland Deschain of the Dark Tower
There's a fantasy series by Stephen King which features a man named Roland Deschain as a protagonist. He, too, has sworn to kill a man as he treks across an endless wasteland (called the desert, or midworld). And his ultimate adversary is called the "Crimson King". I haven't played Borderlands, but based on this wiki page I think it's likely that the character (and at least the character's name) draws inspiration from the Dark Tower. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Deschain
Roland's Ammo Backpack
most sources are stating that he has infinite ammo, but they are usually referencing this site. everyone else seems to think he has, not infinite ammo, but steadily regenerates it. He can run out, but will recover more be that the case. I checked a number of forums, but this one seemed to be the most clear: 
--CheezMcNASTY 18:18, October 14, 2009 (UTC)
Since the statement originated from an article about the game back in 2007 and there as been massive changes since that article it should be removed or rephrased. There do not seem to be passive natural abilities to the characters at this time and all of the video footage I've seen of Roland do not show his ammo recharging at all it would seem the ability is just from if you choose that tree option. I'll update the article and see if anyone disagrees. Gearbox's official forum does not have a response from a dev but there theory seems to be supportive of this.  Dejos 19:17, October 14, 2009 (UTC)
I have actually found that there are specific class mods that allow him to regenerate ammo, but no i have not seen roland normally regenerate ammo with out these specific class mods.( i dont know how to do that thing with the link so ill just sign my name) Yamistriton
he dose of sorts
i watched a 30 min gameplay vid and at one point thay show a expensive item called class mod something it was worth 6000 and had a few bonus effects best of all was 16 plus ammo a second he showed this bye firing of about 20 round and his ammo respawning it said it was a soldier only mod so thats probabley what it means sorry for typos
- Do you think you could link source for that? I'd love to see it Dejos 18:00, October 15, 2009 (UTC)
- http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-borderlands/17-1498/ WarBlade 19:36, October 15, 2009 (UTC)
Thanks! Yea I was just watching that. Pretty fantastic stuff. Someone should definitely start a Class Mod section. But I still think we shouldn't say "backpack" or "only class that doesn't have to worry about ammo" he is the only class though that can provide ammo for himself or teammates without needing to buy it or find it. Also did anyone else note that the class mods for him sometimes list as "Leader Class"
Dejos 19:42, October 15, 2009 (UTC)
--CheezMcNASTY 16:36, October 20, 2009 (UTC)yeah, he is considered the leader class. reason being that he can supply ammo for, heal, and regenerate the entire party through the scorpio turret. All of the other class-specific skills in the game are more focused on individual strength rather than aiding the entire party with health, ammo, revival, and defense.
Atlas records state that Roland was honorably discharged from the Crimson Lance. Unfortunately, Crimson Lance doctrine states that the only type of discharge is dishonorable, which generally involves a bullet through the skull. When questioned about either his involvement in or departure from the Crimson Lance, Roland quickly changes the subject to loot, of wich he firmly believes there is always room for more. --Sgt rico2 04:55, November 22, 2009 (UTC)
- Please do erase people's discussion contributions. Restoring now... -- WarBlade 06:51, November 22, 2009 (UTC)
I have a "Shock Trooper" mod that adds 27% elemental effect chance. Someone should add it to the list of stats on "Shock Trooper" mods.
I had always imagined he was an elite of some renown within the Lance (Badass Engineer? Royal Guard in training?) who suddenly had a crisis of conscience not unlike Athena.188.8.131.52 06:47, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
If you wanna take Knoxx's Tweets as canon info, Roland served two tours on Prometheus, the planet where Atlas found their alien tech, before his crisis of conscience (in Knoxx's words, he "wore his guilt like a sun dress") Iplas 05:32, September 8, 2011 (UTC)
- canon? a bit alien, in concept, to a game w/o continuity or a "serious" sense of coherency. would you consider his traded insults and retweets as canon? still, it is in character for both. might be worth a note or trivia (mind the link to the tweet). 09:57, September 8, 2011 (UTC)
- Haha, point taken. All Knoxx's tweets are archived on here, yes? it's tweet #$25 on the General Knoxx on Twitter page, reads "@justryan13 roland? i remember him. did two tours of prometheus before wearing his guilt like a sun dress."Iplas 16:26, September 8, 2011 (UTC)
Roland was a Crimson Lance Engineer?
The Scorpio Turret is only used by Crimson Lance Engineers. Is it safe to assume he is a Crimson Lance Engineer? --184.108.40.206 22:08, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
I'd say yes. most people have already drawn that conclusion. besides, he IS wearing pieces of lance armour. he looks 'lance engineer to me, and most people, I'd say. --TNT LotLP 22:10, December 4, 2009 (UTC)
Why dose the Skill Tree glitch out and have the picture covering soen of the info, it's really annoying.
Note of reference
Couldn't TC mean Take Care rather than Truck Commander since it's a small vehicle and he says it whether he rides pasenger or not -- anon8792
I agree with this. Army lingo "TCB" = taking care of business.
220.127.116.11 01:38, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
- which army? 01:49, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
- Tank commander... apparently. -- WarBlade 23:18, March 5, 2010 (UTC)
It means Tank Commander or Truck Commander and is used to not steer the vehicle but to keep on the lookout for traffic and other obstacles.
It means Tactically Commandeer. As in, "I'm takin this shit, try and stop me."18.104.22.168 11:23, February 15, 2011 (UTC)
Roland Support Gun
When you level it up to the top it will start taking 700heath off but it has to be right top on the damage one so, it doesnt work leave a message and i will help you.
I'm ps3 nametag is CD_Scouser9_CD like i said send a message to CD_Scouser9_CD or Leave a message and i will help you do it.
CD Scouser9 CD 19:22, March 8, 2010 (UTC)
Daze - Page Locked
The page is locked so I couldn't add it myself, but I felt that it might be useful to know that Roland is the only character that does not have a skill that can daze.
Question about the Trivia on this page.
I noticed something while scanning this article for spelling errors and such:
- Roland is an infantryman, but his Scorpio Turret and pieces of Crimson Lance armour offer indications that he might have once been a Lance Engineer.
- In the Secret Armory of General Knoxx, his wanted poster states his bounty is $1,000,000.00 for "Desertion and Murder of a Crimson Lance officer".
Now, I was going to edit the Trivia section and remove the line about "Roland is an infantryman", then add something like "This lends credibility to the rumors of Roland being a former member of the Crimson Lance". Before I do so, I just want to know if I'm not the only one who noticed this, and if I should go forward with the edits I wanted to do. AtlasSoldier 19:50, September 15, 2010 (UTC)
- Why remove a description of him as infantry when the shoe fits? I'd contend that it is a reasonable description of his role and also helps pull him away from the idea of him being a Lance Engineer (he has traits of several Lance units). -- WarBlade 06:19, September 16, 2010 (UTC)
Team leader of the Vault Hunters?
Is he? He has a class mod that gives him the title "Leader". That makes me think he started or is in charge of the team. SuperMario2 17:26, November 27, 2010 (UTC)
- military training implies the ability to lead. so he can be a leader, though being mercenaries the position is tenuous at best. single player game assert there is no team. if youve ever played with a twerp, a prat, or a grabber on your "team" you will know what i mean. 17:40, November 27, 2010 (UTC)
Well you can see where I got this from, but hes also the one used in the intro for DLC 4, so that made my theory a little stronger. SuperMario2 18:01, November 27, 2010 (UTC)
- ah, the ever popular "stick puppet" theory. i see. do keep us apprised of your progress. really, flesh it out. gather clues, im sure there is more to discover. 19:37, November 27, 2010 (UTC)
You dont have to be rude.... SuperMario2 22:21, November 27, 2010 (UTC)
- not trying to be rude actually. dig up some more evidence. its a good theory. better than people just complaining about the patch. im interested to see what you come up with. ok, "stick puppet theory" was less than kind but im evil and could not resist.
- Mordecai leads... His understanding of his own superiority is without compare. Plus, from his high vantage point, the eagle eye of the Hunter is well equipped to marshal the troops. ;) -- WarBlade 09:04, February 16, 2011 (UTC)
I know this is old news, but it'd seem more likely that Roland used to be a Lance Shock Trooper, not an engineer, as their turrets are blue and Shock Trooper is one of his class mods. Terek Zelta 18:42, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
- In the Original game, before any DLC was released, The Only Lance Soldiers that could use a Turret Drop was the Engineer. Roland's Armor peices are said to appear to be Lance in origin, leading to the idea he was an engineer. When DLC 3 came out more Lance troops could drop turrets. However i do not believe it has ever been revealed what type, if any, Lance Soldier Roland ever was. 21:48, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
I think we all can agree that Roland is a Badass. Dämmerung 00:01, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
- I think I'll leave it at "Roland was Crimson Lance". Anything else is:
- Pure speculation.
- Too in game specific to be interesting background wise.
- Ret-conned anyways: I'm sure the engineers were modeled from Roland.
- Also, +1. Roland is one Super Bad mofo. happypal (talk • contribs) 07:13, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, guys, I know. It's a case of what came first: The chicken or the egg. Well, in this case it was the chicken, if you get what I mean, but it's ultimately moot because both chickens and eggs have been around for so long. I was only trying to illustrate that if we're going to be pedantic and speculate, there's more evidence supporting the idea that he was a Shock Trooper. Personally, anyone reading this wiki would have to know it's speculation because of how it's worded, and that kind of information is fun to read regardless. I would just add "or Shock Trooper" to the end of that sentence. Terek Zelta 16:10, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
The entire "Roland is an infantryman..." clause is speculation, so I am removing it. There, problem solved. Dämmerung 18:25, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
TC the vehicle
Roland, upon taking a vehicle: He may say "I'll TC the vehicle". That simply means that "I will TAKE CARE (of) the vehicle". It's a semi-common saying, I'm really surprised at what people thought it meant, not that I'm denying that possibility as well, but this is the saying he uses and the tone of his voice sounds friendly/casual; it's a free ride, what's to commandeer? 22.214.171.124 23:31, August 4, 2012 (UTC)Unmazing
- takin your word for it. never heard it myself. ive heard "take care of vehicle" of course, but never "TC the vehicle". 00:33, August 5, 2012 (UTC)
Roland got shot in the back by handsome jack and he is dead I didnt know how to edit that so one of you guys can
Is it just me, or is anyone else a little upset about Roland's "death"? By that I mean the way it was carried out, he was shot in the chest, he very well could have survived if it was just in the lung or something, yet everyone is saying he is dead. To me it seems like they are just assuming. As far as I can tell he was never buried, they spoke about it but it is never confirmed that he was buried. Considering the player never actually sees his lifeless body it almost seems like they could go the route of him surviving the encounter and just not showing back up until after the fight with Jack and the Warrior. I kinda hope they go that route, I was expecting all the original vault hunters to be long dead in this game only to find out they are alive along with several other people, for them to bring them all back just to kill one of the main ones off seems a little off to me. -- Shoopuffs 06:09, September 25, 2012 (UTC)
- This is a big spoiler. It should be marked as such in the wiki. I saw this on the Borderlands 1 wiki character page. Even on the sequel it would be a spoiler. --Sept 25, 2012 —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs)
- What's more annoying is that the entire Borderlands universe actually HAS a method people can be resurrected, that is somewhat cannon. The NEW-U stations are scattered everywhere and they even talk about "thank you for dying" and "don't think that this new body is completely different than your old, dead body". Roland has even used the damn things in the first game, so death for him should be only a minor setback. I know the stations are Hyperion owned, and thus someone can argue that they didn't want to resurrect him - but then, why don't the stations not resurrect the new vault hunters? --Z.S.-- (talk) 00:38, October 29, 2012 (UTC)
Reverted Link Attempt
As in the title. I'm working on a polish version of Borderlands Wiki (and also learning wikia stuff), and I tried to add link to polish version of article but I failed :) Anyway, I reverted the changes, so no worries. Just saying, cause I hate vandals on wikia and I don't want to be perceived as such.
Doesn't it seem a bit silly to put that up at the top of the page in the basic info, considering that the page also doubles as a gameplay guide for Roland in BL1? Someone just starting the series might come to the page looking for strategies as Roland and then have the massive plot twist that is his death in the second game spoiled as soon as he looks at the article. I think it does a tremendous disservice to all new fans of the series who stumble across the page. Perhaps the article could be split into one for his involvement in BL2 and one for his character in BL1 to avoid such a gargantuan spoiler for new players?