Surveyors are small, agile, airborne Hyperion robots that provide support to Hyperion robots on the ground, by regenerating or creating shields, and providing repairs.
- Repair Surveyors and Badass Repair Surveyor are the most common surveyor type in normal mode. Regular repair surveyors have only one set of wings while the Badass variant has three.
- Shield Surveyors and Badass Shield Surveyors are rarer, and have the ability to charge up a shield for any nearby loaders. When idle, the Shield Surveyor can deploy a yellow frontal deflector shield similar to that of a constructor's. Attacking the shield will cause bullets to be deflected back at the Vault Hunters. Both variants possess two pairs of wings, with the regular version colored white and blue and the Badass variant colored yellow and blue.
- Borderlands 2
- Digistruct Peak Challenge
- Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot
- Psycho Krieg and the Fantastic Fustercluck
Surveyors are lightly armored, and generally, do not require much firepower to destroy. Their structural weakness is largely offset their high mobility and ability to generate an impenetrable shield around themselves. They are easiest to target while on an attack run or motionless while performing repairs.
Surveyors can repair all types of loaders and constructors. Hyperion surveyors are also equipped with a weak shock attack that disrupts shields and, while not dangerous on its own, can be fatal in combination with loaders or other Hyperion enemies on the ground.
Hyperion Hawks can occasionally hitch a ride on a passing surveyor and turn into an incredibly mobile weapons platform by hovering above the field of battle and raining down rockets. When a surveyor is ready to attach itself to a Hyperion Hawk, it will deploy its deflector shield and slowly drift towards the Hyperion Hawk while constantly facing the Vault Hunter, and once it reaches the Hawk, it will attach itself with the soldier and take flight. Surveyors seldom perform this action, and usually only do so when there's a Hyperion Hawk nearby and no Loaders are around to be repaired.
Surveyors return in Borderlands 3, they are now larger and far less agile compared to their Borderlands 2 counterparts, often hovering in place to attack or perform repairs on other Loaders, making them far easier to target. All Surveyors are now shielded.
The only Surveyor variants present are normal repair Surveyors and their badass variants, shield surveyors do not make a return. They are capable of firing energy beams that deal moderate amounts of damage. Badass Surveyors are also capable of performing bombing runs by dropping energy spheres on their targets. Surveyors can be constructed on the battlefield via either Constructors or SVY Loaders. Badass Surveyors become the more common variant on Mayhem Mode or True Vault Hunter Mode.
- There is an extremely rare glitch where the surveyor will regenerate a Vault Hunter's shield and health. This bug has only been confirmed with a Super Badass Repair Surveyor.
- Maya's Thoughtlock skill will cause a Surveyor to regenerate a Vault Hunter's health or shield.
- Whereas Repair Surveyors in normal mode never have shields, Reinforced Repair Surveyors always carry shields.
- Deathtrap will never melee them and will only use his shock laser against them.
- If Maya Phaselocks a surveyor, they will fall to the ground after Phaselock wears off.
- In True Vault Hunter Mode, the names of the regular surveyors become Reinforced Repair Surveyor and Energized Shield Surveyor.
- Additional names for surveyors in the Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack Two: Digistruct Peak Challenge are:
- Super Badass Repair Surveyor v2.0
- Energized Shield Surveyor v2.0
- Reinforced Repair Surveyor v2.0
- Surveyors appear in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel as Worker Bots, with the name being mentioned by Jack multiple times. These surveyors only serve as game scenery as they are only treated as an NPC and given a health bar during the mission Don't Get Cocky where one must be defended from Dahl fighter jets. They are also colored yellow, are at least twice the size of a Repair Surveyor, have no combat capabilities, and use a tractor beam during the missions Watch Your Step, Quarantine: Infestation and Don't Get Cocky.