“Look out, everybody, things are about to get awesome!”
He is a hunter who dresses in a ragged, futuristic version of a Victorian adventurer's outfit, with a slouch hat, a broken pair of glasses that looks like a monocle, and a robotic right eye, arm, and leg. The artificial appendages are prosthetics acquired as replacements for limbs lost during a particularly nasty encounter with a thresher named Old Slappy some years earlier.
Sir Hammerlock is the first friendly human encountered in Borderlands 2. He agrees to repair Claptrap's eye, and then begins to send the Vault Hunters out on various research expeditions on the local fauna for his as yet unpublished almanac. He soon relocates to Sanctuary, where he continues to serve as a mission provider.
Hammerlock can also be seen among the patrons of the Badass Crater Bar, although he is comparatively inactive in this area.
He becomes a central figure in the third campaign DLC, Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, where he guides the Vault Hunters through their adventures on the continent of Aegrus. He is initially found at a hidden camp site in Hunter's Grotto, before taking up residence in the Aegrus Sophisticates' Lodge.
- A pamphlet titled, "Sir Hammerlock's Field Guide", is packaged in the Ultimate Loot Chest edition of Borderlands 2.
- Hammerlock's sexuality is hinted at in a mission to find Taggart (offered when he's in Moxxi's bar), where he states that one of his ex-boyfriends was also a hunter, further evidence is given in Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre through Gaige's quote "But if Hammerlock switches sides....mmm I am going to lock that down".
- After Sanctuary gets relocated, his name changes from Sir Hammerlock, to just Hammerlock when sighted in gun crosshairs.
- According to an article published by game designer Anthony Burch, Sir Hammerlock is canonically homosexual. This clarifies lore in Borderlands 2, and statements made during the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt, where Sir Hammerlock mentions having a boyfriend.
- "Hello mercenary person! I have money and a problem."
- "Do you feel that you have too many bullets and not enough money?"
- "Things need to be shot and by jove, you're the one to shoot them!"
- "I see our fearless leader Jack is looking for you. Charming fellow, isn’t he? Spouts drivel about bringing peace to the frontier, then shoots unarmed men, women and children like it was going out of style."