When the Vault Hunters attempt to ascend the Inferno Tower with the elevator, Mortar denies them access. To bait him and the elevator into coming down, Brick advises them to destroy Mortar's buzzard, the Boombringer. Enraged at the destruction of his prized vehicle, a vengeful Mortar rides the elevator down to confront the Vault Hunters.
- Main article: Toil and Trouble
- "Aww, look, everybody! It's a witty-bitty Slab tryin' ta use our elevator! GET 'EM!"
- "Boombringer! NO! That's it, Slab – I'm comin' down there and YOU are find out what it's like to eat your own throat!"
- "That Slab just blew up my buzzard without even lookin' at the explosion! But I – I ain't scared – I'm comin' down and YOU'RE GONNA DIE!"
- "I want that Slab's head in my digestive tract!"
- Mortar has an increased chance to drop the Pandemic grenade mod.
- Once Mortar is lured down during Toil and Trouble, he will become a respawnable mini-boss.
- While killing Mortar is optional, Brick's mission dialogue implies his death is canon.