Mamaril offers an item that is based on the level of the current story mission (capped at about level 30 if he is first encountered after the story is complete in Normal Mode). Once encountered, his loot level will remain fixed.
Michael can be found randomly at one of several spots around Sanctuary:
- Near the newsstand in Sanctuary's main plaza
- In an alley down the street from the front entrance to Moxxi's
- Inside Moxxi's, near the bar
- Inside Moxxi's, in the side room across from Sir Hammerlock
- In Marcus' weapons shop
- Near Claptrap's location, at the end of the street and in front of a building
- Inside Scooter's garage, near a stack of tires
- Inside Crimson Raider headquarters in the room with Tannis
- Inside Zed's clinic
- To the left of the door to Crazy Earl's Black Market
- In the unpatched console versions, Michael has a 100% spawn chance before Sanctuary is relocated (I think that this may have been changed to the default value of 10%), after which point his spawn rates returns to the default 10%. In the PC version, he always has the normal 10% spawn chance.
- Based on a test of 500 trials performed by user Dark_Force9999 in Gearbox Forums, his ratio appears to be 95% blue, 4.5% purple and 0.5% orange.
- Based on a test of 1014 trials performed by user Heycarnut posted at Gearbox forums, the ratios were 89% blue, 11% purple, 0% orange. Assuming the 0.5% orange rate inferred from an earlier test by another poster, there is only about 0.6% chance of not seeing an orange in this many drops, strongly indicating the rate may be much lower.
- He will occasionally paraphrase a version of the opening theme from Borderlands if left alone for a while before his proffered item is taken.
- The NPC shares his name with a Borderlands fan that passed away in October 2011. Michael's friend, Carlo, sent Gearbox an email requesting that a short eulogy be read by Claptrap in order to honor his late friend's memory. Gearbox also promised to include Michael in Borderlands 2 as a tribute to the late Borderlands fan.
- His eulogy can be found at http://www.youtube.com/v/8wBGA9k2kZU&hl=en_US&fs=1 done by the voice of claptrap.