As an infant, Maya was identified as a Siren and given to the Order of the Impending Storm, the ruling order of monks on her homeworld of Athenas. She trained her Siren powers in secret until she reached adulthood, when the monks revealed her to the public as their goddess and savior. Irritated by the Order's short leash, she longed for adventure and expressed interest in traveling to Pandora to learn more about her Siren lineage. She eventually realized that the Order was using her as a threat to extort money and obedience from the people of Athenas. After Phaselocking and executing her handler Brother Sophis, she headed to Pandora to finally satisfy her curiosity about Sirens.
Maya already knew of the Vault and the presence of Eridium before arriving on Pandora. After Handsome Jack learned of Maya through Hyperion surveillance footage of Athenas, it presumably didn't take much effort to get the Siren on the train at the beginning of the game.
- Main article: Phaselock
Maya's skill gives her the ability to suspend foes in another dimension. This can lock an opponent in a stasis, and can be upgraded to provide various damaging effects. This skill is useful for crowd control in both co-op and single player mode. Repeatedly Phaselocking the same enemy results in diminishing returns.
Action Skill: Phaselock. Base Cooldown is 13 seconds, base Duration is 5 seconds.
The Siren's Motion Tree focuses on crowd control and defenses. Reflect enemy bullets! Disrupt multiple enemies at once! Brainwash bad guys into fighting for you!
|Ward||1||5||+5% Shield Capacity and -8% Shield Recharge Delay per level.|
|Accelerate||1||5||+3% Gun Damage and +4% Bullet Speed per level.|
|Suspension||2||5||Increases the duration of Phaselock by 0.5s per level.|
|Kinetic Reflection||2||5||Kill Skill. Killing an enemy causes you to deflect bullets against nearby enemies, reducing damage to you by 10% and dealing 20% damage per level for a short time.|
|Fleet||3||5||Your Movement Speed increases by 10% per level while your shields are depleted.|
|Inertia||3||5||Kill Skill. Killing an enemy regenerates 0.8% of your Shield per second and increases your Reload Speed by 10% per level for a short time.|
|Converge||3||1||Your Phaselock ability now also pulls nearby enemies toward the original target.|
|Quicken||4||5||Increases the Cooldown Rate of your Phaselock's Ability by 6% per level.|
|Sub-Sequence||5||5||When an enemy dies under the effects of Phaselock, there is a chance for your Phaselock to seek out and affect another target (20% chance per level).|
|Thoughtlock||6||1||Phaselock causes enemies to switch allegiance and fight amongst themselves. Additionally, Phaselock's duration and cooldown is increased (3s and 4s respectively).|
This tree is focused on healing.
|Mind's Eye||1||5||+5% Critical Hit Damage and +6% Melee Damage per level|
|Sweet Release||1||5||Killing an enemy who is currently Phaselocked creates 1 Life Orb per level which automatically seeks out and heals you and your friends. The healing is stronger when you or your friend's health is low (up to 15% per Orb, does not increase with level).|
|Restoration||2||5||+3% Maximum Health and attack allies to heal them for 6% of the attack damage per level.|
|Wreck||2||5||+10% Fire Rate and +6% Damage with guns per level while you have an enemy Phaselocked.|
|Elated||3||5||You and your friends regenerate 1% health per second per level while you have an enemy Phaselocked.|
|Recompense||3||5||Taking Health damage has a 10% chance per level of dealing an equal amount of damage to your attacker.|
|Res||3||1||You can instantly revive a friend in Fight for Your Life by using Phaselock on him/her.|
|Sustenance||4||5||Regenerate 0.4% of your missing Health per second per level.|
|Life Tap||5||5||Kill Skill. Killing an enemy gives you 1.2% Life Steal per level for a short while.|
|Scorn||6||1||Melee Override. Press [melee] to throw an Orb of Slag that constantly damages enemies near it. This ability has a 18 second cooldown. Pressing [melee] when Scorn is on cooldown will perform a regular melee attack.|
This tree is focused on elemental effects.
|Flicker||1||5||+6% Elemental Effect Chance per level.|
|Foresight||1||5||Increases Magazine Size and Reload Speed with all weapon types. +4% Magazine Size and +5% Reload Speed per level.|
|Immolate||2||5||Adds +10% Damage per level as Fire Damage to all shots fired when in Fight For Your Life.|
|Helios||2||5||Phaselocking an enemy causes a fiery explosion, damaging all nearby enemies. +1 Helios Damage Rank per level.|
|Chain Reaction||3||5||While you have an enemy Phaselocked all of your bullets that hit enemies have a 8% chance per level to ricochet and hit another nearby enemy.|
|Backdraft||3||5||Your melee attacks deal additional Fire Damage. Also, when your shields become depleted you create a fiery explosion, damaging nearby enemies. Your shields must fully recharge between explosions. +1 Backdraft Damage Rank per level.|
|Cloud Kill||3||1||Shooting an enemy creates a lingering Acid Cloud, which lasts for 5 seconds, dealing constant Corrosive Damage to enemies who touch it. Only one Acid Cloud can be active at a time.|
|Reaper||4||5||You deal +8% increased Gun Damage per level to any enemy who has more than 50% of his health remaining.|
|Blight Phoenix||5||5||Kill Skill. Killing an enemy causes you to deal constant Fire and Corrosive Damage to nearby enemies for a short time. The damage is based on your Level and the Level of the Blight Phoenix.|
|Ruin||6||1||Action Skill Augmentation. Phaselock now slags, corrodes and electrocutes all nearby enemies.|
Visit http://www.borderlands2.com/us/skilltree/siren.html for skill trees.
- Maya is wanted for the crime of being a siren, the bounty on her head is $720,000,000,000.
- The text for Converge, which reads, "Gather thine enemies together that thou mayest blow them to tiny bits," is a reference to the rabbit scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- An ECHO recording appears in Maya's inventory at the start of the game about her training with a group of mysterious "Brothers" and explains why she left her planet to come to Pandora.
- Maya's backstory ECHO recordings are located in the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve. A video with the locations is available on YouTube. The recordings override earlier promotional material regarding her age, giving her at least 27 years instead of 25.
- Maya's Class Mod is represented by a book attached to her left hip.
- One of Maya's body skin, "Slice of Fried Gold" is a reference to the movie "Shaun of the Dead " Cite
- One of Maya's body skins, "Rose Tailor" is a reference Rose Tyler from popular British sci-fi show "Doctor Who".
- When Maya gets ahold of the Jack voice modulator, she comments that she finds the Tech fascinating, before her voice changes, saying that she sounds atrocious.
- Maya's "so it goes..." quote comes from Kurt Vonnegut's novel "Slaughterhouse-Five" in which the phrase is used as a refrain after the death of any character.
Killing an enemy
- That must'a hurt!
- He won't make it
- So it goes...
- Bed time!
- Well that's that!
- HA! (In a mocking tone)
- Bye now!
- Another one down!
- You should ALL be running! (After killing several enemies in quick succession)
- Fear me, bitches!
- Looks like my training is paying off!
- This seat is sticky. Why is it sticky?
- Switch please.
- May I have that spot?
Using a grenade
- Got something for ya!
- Explosives out!
Hitting an enemy with a vehicle
- Comin through!
- Interesting reaction...
- Strangely satisfying.
Phaselocking an enemy
- Stay still!
- Shut UP!
- You will die..
- Hold still!
- Please stop
- Stay put!
- Calm down!
- Stop struggling!
- You, stop.
- You won't enjoy this
- This will hurt!
- Hold it!
Killing an enemy while phaselocked
- I love my powers!
- That was awesome!
- Ugh, slag!
- (Spitting noises)
- Which is superior?
- There are pros and cons to both...
Completing a challenge
- How bout' that?
With Handsome Jack's voice
- This is interesting technology. I wonder how it -- oh God, I sound atrocious.
- I remember what the Head Monk said right before I left the Abbey: "Child, you still have so much left to learn." I imagine he would have continued talking, had I not pulled the trigger.
- This silence reminds me of the Abbey... I hated the god damn Abbey.
- Twenty seven years of training just so I could stare at nothing.
- I'm all for meditation, but this is ridiculous.