- Three new Riot Arenas
- Bank to store items
- Two additional skill points for both playthroughs as mission rewards
- New game mode, with waves of enemies
"Are you god's gift to gun fights? Think you're the best? Wanna prove it? Then help us celebrate the grand opening of Marcus Bank (a subsidiary of Marcus Corp) by killing hundreds and hundreds of people in Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, the only competitive arena around where your next of kin can be assured that you're coming back famous... or not at all. (All proceeds are kept by us)"
Mad Moxxi is a thrill-seeking woman in search of a new husband. Having gone through three husbands already, her search has led her to becoming the Ring Master/Hostess and Commentator of the Underdome. She considers the Underdome and the excitement of the competition like matrimony and plans to stay only as long as the thrill lasts. Gameplay will include three new Riot Mode arenas where players will fight AI-controlled enemies (PvE) in single player or multiplayer. The expansion starts with a mission entitled "Prove Yourself" in which the player must complete all three arenas.
- Main article: Underdome gameplay mechanics
The gameplay consists of rounds and waves. Each round consists of five waves ending with a Boss wave. Every round brings an increased difficulty level. As the round number increases, the number of gameplay-altering Rules increases, adding variables such as different gravity levels and modified enemy regeneration, accuracy, damage, etc. If a character is incapacitated and fails to achieve a second wind in a multiplayer game, they will respawn in the Penalty Box on top of Moxxi's tower (from which they can still play an active role by sniping enemies) for the remainder of the wave. No experience is gained from kills inside the Underdome and consequently weapon proficiencies are not affected.
You will be rewarded after the completion of each round, after you kill the boss, a few weapons of any quality a few levels below your own will spawn under the player spawn point. These weapons are usually of good quality, and you may have a fair chance of finding an Eridian weapon. Be sure to grab them before the timer runs out, and the next round begins.
Having more than one player in the arena fighting increases the quality, and amount of weapons after each round.
- Main article: Achievements
- Small Tournament Completed the lesser challenge in all 3 coliseums
- Hell-Burbia Completed the larger challenge in the Hell-Burbia coliseum
- The Angelic Ruins Completed the larger challenge in The Angelic Ruins coliseum
- The Gully Completed the larger challenge in The Gully coliseum
- Big Tournament Completed each of the larger challenges in all 3 coliseums
- The title "Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot" is highly likely to be a reference to "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome".
- In the trailer for the DLC, when Moxxi's first husband is shown, the Konami Code (Wikipedia) runs across the screen, shooting him.
- While playing in the tournaments you can occasionally hear the audience cheer "Heyo!" which is the famous saying of Steve the bandit who was supposedly one of her husbands. Steve is featured in many Borderlands promotional works, including the 'Borderlands Claptrap Web Series'
- Moxxi's name is likely a reference to Roxie Hart from the broadway show Chicago which centers around the Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly, two acquitted murderesses who bask in the fame that being the "murder-of-the-week" brought them what showbusiness could not, an interesting relation to Moxxi's own love for violence due to lack of love otherwise and of course due to stardom, especially with some of Moxxi's commentary lines such as "Who loves you and who do you love!" (which is a quotation from "The Running Man," Schwarzenegger film where convicts fight to the death for the amusement of the masses) and, in the trailer, "and the audience will love me for my brutality". In the song "Cell Block Tango" the "merry murderesses" in the jailhouse describe the murders they committed, all on men, many for cheating, and features the memorable line "Pop, six, squish, uh-uh, Cicero, Lipschitz" referring to the reasons each woman killed the man (with the exception of "uh-uh" said by the Hungarian girl convicted because she could not speak English well enough to defend herself, when she did not, in fact, kill her husband). Moxxi would fit right in with the murderesses, having killed her first and seemingly led to the death of her second husband.
- In the trailer Moxxi says "maybe I'll get my jollies off bringing pain this way..." which implies that her previous marriages caused primarily pain, which she enjoyed. This may imply her obvious nature as a seductress or a joke on marriage in general, saying that it is painful, often a joke made by complaining husbands and subsequently used by women to taunt them.
This DLC has been known to cause glitches with some users. The cause has not yet been determined, but on occasion the DLC will delete equipped Shields, Class Mods and Grenade Mods. Instances of this have been linked to the "Naked" rule in the DLC. On many occasions this has happened when in multiplayer games with connection problems however it has also occurred in Single Player.
It has been suggested that players back up their save files prior to playing the DLC. On the PC, save files are located in the folder SaveData in Documents > My Games > Borderlands. On Xbox and PS3, an additional save should be made to an external device or external folder. If items have been lost, they can be replaced by overwriting the corrupted save file(s) with the backup. When replacing a corrupt file on a console the original file should be deleted first as many consoles do not allow overwriting.
Please keep in mind that backup save files must be kept up to date otherwise when they are utilized the user will lose all progress made since the last backup. To replace the save file of one character instead of all characters, the character's save file must be identified and only that file switched. Save files are numbered in order of chronology. For example, the first character created is named Save0001.sav. Save files are numbered Save0001-9 and Save000A-Z.
You should check your inventory after every session. If you find your shield/COM/grenades missing, try equipping a different one from your pack. Doing this may cause your missing items to reappear, albeit unequipped, in your inventory. This may not work if you have already saved and quit while bugged.
This happened to my friend's shield one of his class mod. Once we finished the final round and went to the main area, we checked Dr. Zed's store and his exact shield and class mod were in the store for sale. This could be entirely coincidental, but if you do lose your shield: check the store, it could be there.
An edit by:AcidOfLacuna[Xbox 360 and PS3]
There is in fact a way to skip a few of the rounds.
What you will need:
- Eridian Shotgun(Thunder Storm)
- 2 players(one must be a low leveled character, the other a high level)
- Run through the first 4 waves(The round skips can only be done at the boss wave)
- Before the boss wave starts, position yourself aiming at the center of the stage(this can be marked by the ramp(the middle of the three sections of the ramp)
- Immediately upon the boss spawning, shoot and kill him with the thunder storm
- Do not kill the henchmen yet.
- If you see the curtains close while the henchmen are spawning, this has been executed correctly, otherwise you will need to wait until the next round.
- After the curtains close, you will need to wait a few seconds until a countdown timer starts from 10.
- After continuing out of the end of round stats, kill those henchmen.
- Wave 1 of the new round will start.
- A few seconds later, the countdown from 10 will start.
- After the countdown you will get the end of round stats. Continue, and the new round will start.
- The boss needs to die before his henchmen spawn. ie. Nine Toes would need to die before his dogs spawn
- You will still need to kill wave 1 of the prior round that you skipped.
Why do I need...
The thunder storm - Because regular bullets will only do 1 damage to the enemy, whereas the thunderstorm does a great deal of elemental damage fast enough to take out the boss.
To wait before killing the henchmen - The programming that was done appears to be that if there are no enemies the boss wave on the field after the first one appears, end that round. By killing the boss fast enough, you make this true. The henchmen still spawn, making it so that when you kill them after the next round starts, this is true again.
This basically saves you 4 rounds each time, as you will still have to fight wave 1 of the previous round. It will still save you the additional time, as wave 1 of the next round will spawn while you are still fighting that previous wave.
Some boss waves this will not work with. Their spawn time is delayed or they have extreme recharge on their shields upon spawning. So basically you'll be able to get, within the 20 rounds, 3-5 of them skipped, which can save upwards of 1-2 hours depending.
- ↑ Second Borderlands DLC around the corner (fragland.net)
- ↑ Borderlands' Second DLC Title, Price, Release Date Revealed- AND STORAGE! - The Jon Venture (sfx-360.com)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 New DLC Announcement: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot! - Gearboxity - Gearbox Software Community Portal (gearboxity.com)
- ↑ Borderlands Expands Again With Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot [Update] - borderlands - Kotaku (kotaku.com)
- ↑ Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (Official site)
- ↑ DLC Added: Borderlands (ps3trophies.org)
- ↑ Trophy List Hints at More DLC Coming for Borderlands - borderlands - Kotaku (kotaku.com)
- Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (Official Site)
- Official press release, New DLC Announcement: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot! - Gearboxity - Gearbox Software Community Portal (gearboxity.com)
- UPDATE: Next 'Borderlands' DLC Encourages 6-Hour Marathon Sessions » MTV Multiplayer (multiplayerblog.mtv.com)
- Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot Impressions - Xbox 360 feature - at IGN (xboxlive.ign.com)
- Entering Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, Borderlands' DLC #2 (destructoid.com)