The road to New Haven goes through an arena which Mad Mel controls. Mad Mel must be defeated for the story to proceed any further.
- See mission article: Road Warriors: Bandit Apocalypse for strategy.
"Yeah! Hahaha! Better run!" (Just before Mad Mel appears in the arena)
- Mad Mel's name is a fusion of Mad Max and Mel Gibson, the title of a popular post-apocalyptic movie, and the actor who portrayed the titular character of Max. The text describing the mission to kill Mad Mel also refers to him as a "lethal weapon behind the wheel of any vehicle;" Mel Gibson starred in the Lethal Weapon series of action films.
- When Helena Pierce offers a reward for killing Mad Mel, she says, "It's good you had a brave heart." Mel Gibson played the leading role in the movie Brave Heart.
- Mad Mel strongly resembles Lord Humungous, the main antagonist of Mad Max 2.
- Mad Mel appears in a large dome reminiscent of the Thunderdome in Mad Max 3.
- Mad Mel uses the character model of a badass bruiser.
- Mad Mel will not respawn in Playthrough 2.5, unlike most bosses.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.