“Look out, everybody, things are about to get awesome!”
Special Weapon Effects
Get him angry and he's bound to erupt. – Always incendiary. Always spawns in charge-up full-auto mode. Massively increased damage. 0% ignite chance--instead ignite damage is dealt by a volcano that spawns upon killing an enemy.
Usage & Description
The Krakatoa's damage exceeds that of almost any other sniper rifle of the same level, which allows it to kill most regular enemies with a single critical hit. Paired with an extremely high rate of fire for a sniper rifle, the Krakatoa can dish out immense amounts of Incendiary damage per second when fired in full auto.
True mastery over the weapon requires skillful use of the charging mechanism. It is more difficult to use at long range than a normal sniper rifle, but the charge can be spooled by quickly pumping the trigger to keep it just close to firing. Certain class mods can also be found with bonuses to weapon charge speed.
The volcanoes that the Krakatoa spawns are not particularly useful, except for dealing extra damage to groups of enemies. Care should be taken when approaching enemies killed by this weapon, as a volcano can easily down a character.
Moze's Forge keystone skill works well with the moderate magazine size, allowing her to treat the gun like a fully automatic assault rifle and unleash its massive damage potential while bypassing the ammo shortages that are inherent to sniper rifles.
- The Krakatoa will always spawn with the "Stark" prefix.
- Always spawns with the same scope with 2.7x zoom.
- If the Krakatoa kills an enemy which is a few meters above the ground, no volcano will spawn.
- Hotfix 3/5/2020: Damage greatly increased.
- The weapon's name refers to the volcano of the same name, which was the epicenter of one of the world's most violent volcanic events in recorded history during the August of 1883.
- The weapon's flavor text is a reference to the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V" in which Squidward acted as the volcano-themed superhero "Captain Magma" who uses "krakatoa" as a catchphrase or power activation word. The quote used in the flavor text is used in his introduction by the narrator.