“Look out, everybody, things are about to get awesome!”
Knuckle Dragger is the first boss fought in Borderlands 2. He is a larger, more powerful version of a standard bullymong. He is fought in the icy canyons of the Southern Shelf (Map Location: Windshear Waste from Claptrap's Place). He is first seen in Claptrap's Place where he rips out the robot's eye. He has a chance to drop the Hornet upon his death.
- Main article: Blindsided
- When coming from the direction of Claptrap's Place after defeating him once, Knuckle Dragger spawns as the character rounds the corner leading to the cliff above his area. When Knuckle Dragger is killed, all his loot will be "fired" into the sky to land on the platform where he was fought the first time.
- If there is anything above him when he dies, the loot can end up being thrown inside the level geometry and lost.
- A good farming method for the Hornet is to enter the Southern Shelf, then re-enter Windshear Waste, allowing the player to save and quit and always spawn next to Knuckle Dragger when entering the game.
- If using this farming method, the player can provoke Knuckle Dragger into the Drop Barge and kill him, causing his loot to stay inside the Barge instead of spreading out onto the platform where he spawns.
- Knuckle Dragger is the first boss in the Borderlands series that appears at Level 1.
- Knuckle Dragger exhibits more intelligence than most bullymongs as he is able to fashion a necklace out of Claptrap's eye, which can be considered ironic as his name suggests being of low intelligence.