“Look out, everybody, things are about to get awesome!”
Knuckle Dragger is the first boss fought in Borderlands 2. He is a larger, more powerful version of a standard bullymong. He is fought in the icy canyons of the Southern Shelf (Map Location: Windshear Waste from Claptrap's Place). He is first seen in Claptrap's Place where he rips out the robot's eye. He has a chance to drop the Hornet upon his death.
Knuckle Dragger will hop off his perch and throw large rocks, similar to standard Bullymong behavior. He attacks with punches and jumping on his victim. When he is at about half health, he will return to his perch and summon monglets. After a short time he will jump back down.
Using the Jakobs gold plated Gearbox sniper rifle (only available to Premium-club members) large critical strikes to his head can be delivered quickly killing him, using this weapon while he is up on the Hyperion Drop-ship is also very effective.
If you have existing badass ranks and used tokens amplifying critical damage etc. this will also be useful.
- When coming from the direction of Claptrap's Place after defeating him once, Knuckle Dragger spawns as the character rounds the corner leading to the cliff above his area. When Knuckle Dragger is killed, all his loot will be "fired" into the sky to land on the platform where he was fought the first time.
- If there is anything above him when he dies, the loot can end up being thrown inside the level geometry and lost.
- When You fight Knuckle Dragger for the second time (presumably for the Hornet) none of his minions will spawn, and take care in not to make him jump to an awkward place on risk of losing the Hornet if it drops (!).
- Knuckle Dragger is the first boss in the Borderlands series that appears at Level 1.
- Knuckle Dragger exhibits more intelligence than most bullymongs as he is able to fashion a necklace out of Claptrap's eye, which can be considered ironic as his name suggests being of low intelligence.