Katagawa Jr. is one of the antagonists of Borderlands 3. He works for Maliwan and can be found on Promethea.
Katagawa is the son of two higher-ups in Maliwan, as well as an executive in Maliwan himself. He had 11 older siblings, who he had Tyreen kill after his father told him that he was 12th in line for Maliwan. Naoko is the only sibling who managed to survive. She escaped and disguised herself as an Atlas soldier and can be found in the side-mission Proof of Wife. Katagawa's quotes and ECHO logs seem to indicate he lead a rich hedonistic lifestyle (e.g. owning a 'pleasure yacht' with an antigravity pool.)
During the Hostile Takeover mission, Katagawa contacts Zer0 after they and the Vault Hunters secure the Maliwan weapons depot. He tells Zer0 that his offer to come work for Maliwan still stands, and tells the Vault Hunters to stay out of his way.
After Zer0 and the Vault Hunters defeat his Gigamind, Katagawa tells the Vault Hunters via ECHO that they've gone from being inconsequential to being a potential threat that he intends to get rid of.
When the Vault Hunters meet up with Rhys in Space-Laser Tag to get the Vault Key fragment on Maliwan, Katagawa destroys Rhys' ship, forcing him to hijack Maliwan shuttle instead.
During the mission, despite numerous threats of destroying Atlas, the most Katagawa appears to do is blow up such places as Rhys's favorite frogurt and bagel stand or one of his theme parks. After Rhys makes it clear that he has no intention of going along with his wishes and destroys Katagawa's pleasure yacht, Katagawa constructs a suit similar to Zer0's (it's unclear as to how) and tries to trick Rhys into believing that Zer0 has betrayed him. Katagawa tries to kill Rhys, but the real Zer0 shows up to stop him, and the Vault Hunters kill Katagawa.
- "Hey, it's Rhys' best friend Zer0, stealing my tech. What's wrong? Atlas not 'cutting it' anymore? My offer still stands. It's not too late to come work for Maliwan."
- "And YOU must be the Vault Hunter Tyreen warned me about. You know what, I don't even have time for you. I'll let my superior forces do the talking."
- "This takeover won't be hostile for long. Atlas and Maliwan, we're hashing things out the corporate way. Rhys doesn't get it yet, but when this is over we'll all be one titanic happy family."
- "You're small stuff, Vault Hunter. Not worth my time. Mess with my Gigamind, though, and that'll change. You keep playing under the feet of giants, you're gonna get stepped on."
- "Wow. You really just popped the brains right out of my Gigamind. Not satisfied with running underfoot, huh? I get it. My father once said I was twelfth in line to run the company. So I made eleven quick little cuts to the family tree. Now, I'm next in line. Think about that, now you've put yourself in my way."
- "Rhys, buddy! Given that unconditional surrender any more thought? Or do you need another love slap from your old pal Laser-roid to change your mind?"
- "When you're ready, just swing by with the paperwork. Can't wait to absorb Atlas into the Maliwan family! Oh, and you can bring Zer0! I'll be he's interested."
- "Rhys, is that you? Welcome! So, once we make your unconditional surrender nice and official, you and I are gonna party on the Zanara! That's my pleasure yacht."
- "Wait a sec. Why are there Vault Hunters here? Tell me you weren't trying to take out my laser. It's my favorite laser, Rhys!"
- [To Rhys] "Who cares about them? I'm doing this for us. The people who matter. The executives. But you're ruining it."
- "Booya! And that's only half power. If you don't surrender soon, Rhys, I'm gonna slice you in half!"
- "Oh Rhy-ys, buddy, I still haven't received those surrender papers! Let's see, what should I target next? Oh, what about your favorite theme park?"
- "Rhys... Rhys, don't do this. Do not do this. Rhys, I swear... if you fire that laser, we're done, buddy. We are done."
- "Override firing sequence immediately! Security! DO SOMETHING!"
Atlas, At Last
- "Nice place, Rhys. I'm gonna enjoy watching it burn from the inside out."
- "Your best bud Zer0 stabbed you in the back. How's it feel, Rhys?"
- "Rhys, I don't even want Atlas anymore. Your brand is over. I'll make more profits selling your employees' organs than your guns."
- "Oh, don't worry about Zer0, Rhys. He'll find you."
- "You just don't get it, do you Rhys? This whole war could've been nice and quick. I move in, take Promethea and make Atlas a subsidiary of Maliwan. Then I make YOU vice president of Beach Drinks. We all win. That's how it works, that's how it's always worked!
- "You were special, Rhys! I saw that. You brought this bottom-shelf company back from the dead. With you in the family we could've turned Maliwan into a universal monopoly. You and me, brothers, selling the only weapons anyone would ever need in all six galaxies! But I reached out my hand and you spat in it Rhys. So now you're not family, you're just the competition."
- "You should've joined the family, Rhys!"
- Katagawa Jr. has a chance of dropping:
- Katagawa Jr. is a head of Maliwan's Mergers and Acquisitions.
- During Katagawa Jr.'s first boss fight, he will say "Remember the Zanara". This is a reference to the TV show, The Expanse (Remember the Cant).
- Katagawa Jr. has an ECHO implant in his right eye.
- His pleasure yacht is destroyed at the end of the Atlas, At Last mission.
- Zanara is where Katagawa had his older siblings killed.
- According to an interview with Gearbox's Randy Varnell, "Katagawa doesn’t just want Rhys’ assets, he just likes Rhys. And the only way that Katagawa knows to make friends with Rhys is to take over Atlas and force him to be his friend."
- At the back of his neck appears to be a barcode (MALIW0-13), as can be seen from the photo mode. This is possibly due to him being the 13th child.
- Katagawa has had four named siblings so far, Issako, Naoko, Sana, and Yuko. All but Naoko were murdered on the Zanara.
- Like Zer0, Katagawa Jr. has only 4 digits on each hand as shown in boss fight cutscene.