The Hive is a unique rocket launcher in Borderlands 2 manufactured by Maliwan. It is obtained randomly from any suitable loot source but has an increased chance to drop from Saturn located in Arid Nexus - Badlands.
Special Weapon Effect
Full of bees. – Always corrosive. Fires a hive rocket that sticks to the first object it hits; if it doesn't hit anything, it will travel a certain distance before stopping in mid-air. It will then begin to spin and release small homing corrosive rockets at a rate of 2 rockets per second for 7 seconds. After this effect ends, the main rocket will explode. Consumes 4 ammo per shot with increased magazine size, reduced fire rate and reduced reload speed.
Usage & Description
The initial projectile itself does not harm anyone before it reaches its destination. Just before it starts releasing child rockets, it explodes in a small area, dealing damage equal to 25% that of the child rockets.
The child rockets can travel a considerable distance when homing in on enemies. They do damage in a small area upon impact.
The Hive is best used against multiple armored enemies. Typically, it should be shot onto the ground or ceiling; the homing rockets will always be released horizontally, so if it is fired onto a wall, about half of the rockets will immediately hit the wall and be wasted.
- As the card only shows the damage for one rocket, each child rocket gains a full amp shield bonus.
- The Hive has a similar skin to the Hornet.
- The Hive has the slowest reload speed of all weapons in Borderlands 2. It is also the only rocket launcher that uses four ammo per shot.
- The flavor text is a euphemism for someone full of energy, generally in a negative or aggressive sense.
- The Hive was dropped by Donkey Mong on October 28, 2013 as part of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt event (Week 3, Day 3). A hotfix on that day increased the reload speed and elemental effect chance on the Hive and all other Maliwan rocket launchers.