Originally only three Headhunter Packs were planned, but after their success two additional packs were released. Most are themed to a specific real-world holiday but presented with a classic Borderlands twist and sense of humor. Each pack includes a new character head and skin for each of the playable classes, including classes that were previously added to Borderlands 2 as DLC. A new location of small or medium size is included in each pack, where there are two (or at most three) relatively short missions to complete. One mission presents a story, often related to characters or events in other games or DLC. The second mission is usually a collect mission which further explores the setting and backstory of the pack.
Many characters from Borderlands 2 return as either main or supporting characters. The Headhunter Packs often introduce a handful of new enemy variations, NPCs, and at least one unique boss, which rewards the skin for the pack. The packs often include a secret activity or two, such as a secret boss.
In Normal mode, the level of all Headhunter Packs scales with the character from a minimum of 15 to a maximum of 35.
Released Headhunter Packs
T.K. Baha's Bloody Harvest
- Main article: T.K. Baha's Bloody Harvest
- Halloween-inspired DLC featuring T.K. Baha
- Release Date: October 22, 2013
- Fast Travel Location: Hallowed Hollow
The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler
- Main article: The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler
- Thanksgiving-inspired DLC featuring Torgue
- Release Date: November 26, 2013
- Fast Travel Location: Gluttony Gulch
How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day
- Main article: How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day
- Christmas-inspired DLC featuring Marcus
- Release Date: December 17th, 2013
- Fast Travel Location: Marcus's Mercenary Shop
Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre
- Main article: Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre
- Valentine's Day-inspired DLC featuring Moxxi
- Release Date: February 11th, 2014
- Fast Travel Location: Rotgut Distillery