Special Weapon Effects
Thinking outside the box. – Fires a 7-round burst when zoomed in. +37.5% multiplicative critical hit damage bonus. Increased base damage and magazine size.
Usage and description
Gwen's Head is set apart from most Dahl pistols by two differences: its bonus critical hit damage and its seven-round burst. These two things make Gwen's Head highly viable for scoring multiple critical hits, especially given the high fire rate of the weapon.
However, there is a third, hidden aspect to Gwen's Head which is not immediately apparent: Its 37.5% bonus to critical hits is the same kind of bonus that most Jakobs guns enjoy, and will multiply other critical hit bonuses from other sources (such as from character skills or Badass Rank) instead of simply adding to them. This makes the Gwen's Head a good choice for characters with any sort of skills or equipment providing an increase to critical hits, as they will all have increased efficiency.
The pistol's combination of bonuses makes the Gwen's Head a good gun for crowd control and a formidable weapon of choice against bosses and huge enemies with easy-to-hit critical hit areas.
This weapon can only be found in a cardboard box that spawns in random locations throughout The Dust. A box containing the gun will always spawn upon entering The Dust in one of the following five locations:
- Inside Ellie's workshop - When entering through the vehicle bay nearest the fast travel, in the corner next to the entrance.
- The Dust, east side - On the west side of a rock outcropping, south and slightly east of Ellie's Garage, north and slightly east of the entrance to the Hodunk Speedway.
- Goose's Roost - Inside the shack at the lower end of the stairs along the north side.
- Lynchwood station - Located on the northeast edge of the platform close to the New-U station.
- Old Dahlwell Oasis - Next to a power pole north of the gas station building containing the slot machine.
- When the box containing the weapon is opened, Handsome Jack will send the vault hunter an ECHO message asking, "Aw, what's in the box?!"
- The message is tied to opening the box and will play even after The Talon of God has been completed.
- The box containing this gun also contains a woman's skull.
- This weapon can be found every time The Dust is entered. Leaving and re-entering The Dust will move the previously spawned Gwen's Head to a new random location if it was not picked up, while quitting to the main menu and re-entering the game will cause a new copy to spawn at a random location, replacing the old one if not obtained.
- Outside of Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, the weapon's level is based on the level of the host's current story mission, not The Dust's region level.
- Gwen's Head can only spawn with a Tediore grip.
- The weapon and ECHO message are a reference to the 1995 movie Se7en in which one of the main characters is presented a cardboard box containing his wife's severed head. The 'Gwen' in the gun's name is a reference to Gwyneth Paltrow, who played the aforementioned wife in the film.
- An update on 12 October 2013 gave the Gwen's Head and all other Dahl pistols increased stability and larger magazine size as part of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt.
- This gun could be dropped by Knuckle Dragger during Day 1 of the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt.
- There is a sister weapon, Gwen's Other Head in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which shares similar traits with this weapon, the only difference being a visually different barrel and altered projectile behavior.