The Golden Chest is a unique lootable object located at Sanctuary in Borderlands 2, at Concordia in The Pre-Sequel, at both Fyrestone and New Haven in the GOTY Enhanced edition of Borderlands, and aboard Sanctuary III in Borderlands 3. They are opened by using a Golden Key. When the chest is opened it will spawn purple weapons, class mods, shields, and grenade mods. E-tech weapons as well as blue and purple relics can also spawn in the chest. After all of the items are collected, the chest will close. A player with more Golden Keys available can open the chest again for more loot.
- If all the items are taken from the chest before it has completely finished opening, it will remain open and therefore cannot be opened again - this issue can be fixed by leaving and re-entering the area.
- If the chest is opened, but the game is exited without being saved before the loot is collected, the key will not be restored.
- Golden Chest loot will almost always spawn the same level items as the character used to open the chest.
- On UVHM, spawned loot will always be a greater level than 6.
- Below level 15, no relics or class mods will spawn. 
- The chest will never spawn pearlescent or legendary gear, nor will it spawn E-tech relics, except in the GOTY Enhanced edition of Borderlands and in Borderlands 3 where it is possible to get legendary gear from the golden chest.