General Alphonso Knoxx is the titular character of the third downloadable content pack, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, serving as the main antagonist. He is also used as a marketing tool outside of Borderlands, where the character is played as a personality on Twitter.
General Knoxx is the "First General of the Crimson Lance, Son of Guillermo Delphino Knoxx III." He spent the majority of his early life as a soldier of the Crimson Lance. Descended from a family of equally honorable and grumpy soldiers, Knoxx yearned for a life of meaningful (or at least, really fun) combat and a noble death. His commanding officer Admiral Mikey is apparently age 5 due to the promotion system, which is described as "goddamn nepotism," and this only serves to raise Knoxx's ire even further when childish messages from the Admiral arrive on Pandora.
When he initially set down on Pandora, Knoxx disliked the idea of sending Lance Assassins as he felt they were not worthy of working on Pandora. However, upon witnessing them clear the T-Bone Junction of bandits, he decided to have them stay and was introduced to Athena. Knoxx was impressed with Athena, knowing full well how Lance Assassins were trained. Athena soon mentioned that she would leave once she found her sister Jess; Knoxx did not seem to mind the blatant admission of desertion. Unfortunately, due to the lack of competence with Lance high command, they ordered a code 64 on the village Jess lived in with thermal infiltration, prompting a furious backlash from the general.
He hates Lance Command and ultimately seeks to leave the Crimson Lance after his mission on Pandora. Upon discovery of the Crimson Lance's promotion system, Knoxx lost what little hope he had left in legitimizing the Atlas Corporation's military branch.
When he is finally encountered in person, General Knoxx is about to kill himself with several automated laser turrets and a rather comically-large bomb. Just before he is able to push the button, he notices the Vault hunters and comments, "Now that's just inappropriate timing. I was hoping to be dead already by the time you got here." He calls off the suicide setup before making a deal with the adventurers, allowing them to pass if he is defeated in combat. He also suggests that they blow up the entire planet altogether, though that seems unlikely to happen.
- Main article: Armory Assault
- See also: General Knoxx/ECHOs
- "Alright, let's get this over with."
- "We've both got a lot riding on this. So let's get started."
- "Took you long enough to get here."
- "I'm going to kill you quick so I can get the hell outta here. That work for you?"
- "So you are the legendary 'vault hunters.' More like a bunch of rejects from Pangolin's R&D freak show."
- "Athena must have told you a good story to take on all of the Crimson Lance. What was it?"
- "Where the Omega failed, I will not!"
- "I had hoped I would not need to get my hands dirty, but so be it."
- "Your training is pathetic. This will not take long."
- "You'd have made a great soldier. It's a pity I didn't recruit you before now."
- "Athena is a treacherous snake. Are you sure her goals are righteous?"
- "I have all of Steele's reports on your methods. I have the advantage."
- "Ha Ha! I might get off this hell hole after all."
- "That ought to do it."
- "Feels good to be killing again."
- "If only I could do that to Admiral Mikey."
- "That's it? And corporate was all worried about you."
- "Wow. You're as green as a new recruit. I expected more."
- "I'm too old to chase you!"
- "Get back here!"
- "The hell you're running away."
- "Get your candy-ass back here!"
- "Quit stalling and get back here!"
- "I can't believe you're going to make me chase you!"
- "You'll be back! These guns aren't stealing themselves!"
- "This is Knoxx! Send more men!"
- "I need reinforcements!"
- "Send in the reserves! Knoxx out!"
- "Send more men!"
- "I want the whole damn brigade out here!"
- "If there is anyone else still inside, get your ass out here!"
- "Nice shot! Really, that was a nice shot."
- "These grunts are a dime a dozen."
- "Better him than me!"
- "Why you taking it out on them? I'm the boss around here."
- "We got a man down!"
- "Man down!"
- "Got a man down over there!"
- "A necessary loss."
- "Damn it! Grenade!"
- "Incoming grenade!"
- "Hit the dirt!"
- "Shields down!"
- "Shields out!"
- "Blast! Shields are down!"
- "Shields down! Cheap bastards wouldn't shell out for a Pangolin!"
- "Gotta recharge!"
- "Shields are down!"
- "No shields!"
- "Sweet mercy! It's almost over."
- "You aren't kidding around."
- "Crap. I'm too old for this."
- "I'm going to die for this effing rock. Son-uva-bitch!"
- "Damn. I'm bleeding out here!"
- "Medic, get your ass over here now!"
- "If I survive this, the first medic I see is getting latrine duty for a year!"
- "Tell the Admiral I hate him."
- "Finally it's over."
- "Can't believe it ends like this!"
- It does not seem physically possible for Knoxx to press the red & green alert buttons shown in the boss-engagement cutscene, when his hands are operating the arms. The alert buttons are supposedly in his power armor.
- Knoxx frequently uses the word "mate", rather than "pal" or "buddy", a possible indication of changes in dialect from an American English origin.
- The General took his assignment on Pandora into his own hands after Mikey sent him a seemingly important package which contained fourteen sponges, a mix tape and some melted chocolate.
- Through many of his recordings he ventures his dislike of the Crimson Lance by calling his troops "retarded".
- Though not appearing in person, Knoxx can be heard in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel through several ECHO logs detailing Athena's past.
- In Boarding Party, Wilhelm refers to Knoxx as "The guy with the sick ass robot suit", implying that somehow he knows General Knoxx before.
- The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
- Knoxx's Gold
- Knoxxed Out
- General Knoxx-Trap
- General Knoxx compilation on YouTube