“Look out, everybody, things are about to get awesome!”
Face-puncher is a legendary shotgun in Borderlands 3 manufactured by Hyperion. It is obtained randomly from any suitable loot source but has an increased chance to drop from Handsome Jackie located in Skywell-27 on Promethea.
Special Weapon Effects
Man your own jackhammer. – Always spawns with a melee accessory and absorbing frontal shield. Deals melee damage. Damage is based on the character's melee damage and evenly distributed among the pellets. Unique firing sound resembling a boxing glove punch.
Usage & Description
The Face-puncher's ability should be considered an extension of the character's melee attack. Its damage output is increased by melee bonuses from all sources, so it can be very powerful with melee builds with a lot of such bonuses; but it also benefits from some (but not all) gun damage bonuses for even higher damage potential.
As the Face-puncher deals melee damage, it cannot score a critical hit. However, it has a high chance of causing enemies to stumble on hit like a normal melee attack, and will cause the shields of Enforcers to be knocked back more often. It will also knock elemental barrels forward like a normal melee attack, instead of exploding them.
- At level 50, the character's base melee damage is 1338, so each of the Face-puncher's pellets does 1338/7 = 191 damage by default (although some versions come with gun parts that alter this value). However, this value is already increased by the +60% melee damage blade the Face-puncher comes with, for an effective 306×7 without any other bonuses.
- The Face-puncher may come with a critical damage bonus despite being unable to score a critical hit.
- As melee attacks against frozen enemies deal 300% damage, the Face-Puncher has excellent synergy with that element.
- The Face-puncher will receive the +75% melee damage increase from Amara's Illuminated Fist skill, but its damage will remain non-elemental.
- The Face-puncher receives both gun and melee damage bonuses. However, it does not receive the damage bonus from Amara's Personal Space skill.
- The Face-puncher does not receive bonuses for shotgun damage.
- The Face-puncher will work with FL4K’s Dominance skill; shooting an enemy with the Face-puncher will provide the same effects as a melee attack.
- Artifacts that grant melee effects, such as the elemental stones, Commander Planetoid, and White Elephant can all be used with the Face-puncher.
- The Face-puncher is extremely effective for the "Slayer" modifier in Mayhem Mode, as highlighted enemies can be instantly killed at a distance.
- The flavor text is a reference to the Coheed and Cambria song In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3.