Both Borderlands games use a ranking system for gear that follows the standard color-coding system for RPGs. A (white) gun would be average, (green) would be slightly above average, (blue) would be a premium gun, a (purple) would be a very strong gun, and (orange) guns are second only to pearlescent (Borderlands) or Seraph (Borderlands 2).
In Borderlands there are seven ranks. The eighth rarity level was added in The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.
- Level 1 = White, rarity = 0-4.
- Level 2 = Green, rarity = 5-10.
- Level 3 = Blue, rarity = 11-15.
- Level 4 = Purple, rarity = 16-49.
- Level 5 = Yellow, rarity = 50-60. (Not a category)
- Level 6 = Orange, rarity = 61-65.
- Level 7 = Dark Orange, rarity = 66-100. (Not a category)
- Level 8 = Pearlescent, rarity = 101+
There are nine ranks in Borderlands 2. Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty added the seventh rank, Seraph, the eighth, Pearlescent, was added on April 2nd, 2013, and the ninth, Effervescent was added on June 9th, 2019. Seraph items can only be found in the first 4 DLCs, Pearlescent weapons can only be found in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, and Effervescent items can only be found in Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary
- Level 1 = White = Common
- Level 2 = Green = Uncommon
- Level 3 = Blue = Rare
- Level 4 = Purple = Epic
- Level 5 = Orange = Legendary
- Level 6 = Magenta = E-tech
- Level 7 = Pink = Seraph
- Level 8 = Cyan = Pearlescent
- Level 9 = Rainbow = Effervescent
All items (7)