“Look out everybody, things are about to get awesome!”
Butt Stallion is Handsome Jack's diamond pony.
Butt Stallion was first introduced on the Southern Shelf by Jack, during the mission Best Minion Ever. In an ECHO message to the Vault Hunters, Jack mentioned that he bought a pony made out of diamonds, then messages again to say that he was trying to come up with a name for the pony he just bought. He was going to call it "Piss-For-Brains" in honor of the Vault Hunters, but changed it to "Butt Stallion." He later clarified that the diamond pony he bought was not a statue, but a real pony made out of diamonds.
In Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, Tiny Tina cast Butt Stallion as the Queen of Flamerock Refuge for her Bunkers & Badasses campaign. She was held captive by the Handsome Sorcerer in his tower, and the Vault Hunters were tasked with rescuing her to restore light and order to the land.
After the death of Handsome Jack, Butt Stallion fell into a deep depression and turned herself into an immobile statue. She remained on display in Jack's office on Helios until the moonbase's destruction. She was recovered by Vaughn and the surviving Hyperion employees, and they took care of her until New Pandora invaded and captured Butt Stallion with the intent to sell her on the black market. The Vault Hunters and Brick rescued Butt Stallion, and Tiny Tina was able to coerce her into coming out of her immobility. Seeing that she would be cared for, Vaughn allowed Tina to keep Butt Stallion.
Butt Stallion makes her first physical appearance at the end of the mission A Game of Games. After the mission, she can be found in Flamerock Refuge with Roland. She will also appear in The Backburner with Tiny Tina after completing the mission My Brittle Pony. Feeding her 5 Eridium will cause her to defecate or vomit a single piece of loot. This can be done as many times as the player wants.
Every time Butt Stallion is fed, one of the following will happen:
- Butt Stallion will flatulate, producing either a green weapon, or rarely a health, ammo, or money pickup.
- Butt Stallion will vomit a rainbow and either a blue weapon, or rarely a health, ammo, or money pickup.
- Butt Stallion will rear up, whinny, and excrete a purple weapon. These have a high, though not guaranteed, chance to use the special Gemstone material. If a Gemstone weapon is produced, it has a much higher chance of being a Pistol than any other weapon type. Gemstone material is not available for Rocket Launchers.
- Due to a separate bug, a Hyperion E-tech Dart or Spiker may be produced instead of a purple gun, possibly with a gemstone skin. Hyperion Darts and Spikers are the only E-tech weapons which Butt Stallion can produce, and the only E-techs which can appear with a gemstone skin.
- Non-Gemstone weapons produced by Butt Stallion will be thrown a shorter distance than Gemstone weapons.
- Butt Stallion will whinny, prance in place and turn 180 degrees, then excrete a legendary item.
- Rather than a pony, Tiny Tina's interpretation of Butt Stallion is a "Pandoracorn", having two horns arranged vertically on her forehead.
- Feeding Butt Stallion three times without leaving the area will award the Girl's Gotta Eat Trophy/Achievement.
- Butt Stallion is the only legitimate source of Gemstone weapons in Borderlands 2.
- Non-Gemstone weapons produced by feeding Butt Stallion can be used by players who do not own the Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC.
- Butt Stallion originally turned a full 360 degrees before producing a legendary item. This was later changed to a 180 degree turn to prevent items from being sent over the cliff edge behind her.
- Despite being named "Butt Stallion", Butt Stallion is actually a mare.
- After her introduction near the end of the mission A Game of Games, Butt Stallion has a chance to drop a legendary item. The known legendary items that drop from Butt Stallion are:
- In Tales from the Borderlands Episode 4 Escape Plan Bravo, Butt Stallion appears as a statue in Handsome Jack's Office.
- Scanning Jack's statue in Episode 5 reveals that the "statue" is actually her, as she became immobile out of depression after Jack's death.