Brainstormer is a legendary shotgun in Borderlands 3 manufactured by Hyperion. it is obtained randomly from any suitable loot source but has an increased chance to drop from Katagawa Ball located in Skywell-27 on Promethea.
Special Weapon Effects
Let's put our heads together. – Always shock. Fires 7 pellets in a lightning bolt pattern. Each pellet that hits an emeny has a chance to create 2 links chaining from the target hit to nearby enemies, dealing 10 damage ticks over 2 seconds. Chains can hit a new enemy or chain back to the original target.
Usage & Description
The more enemies that are hit with a chain, the more links are created between them, which exponentially increases the Brainstormer's damage while shooting into a crowd. As a result of this, the Brainstormer is excellent for depleting the shields of grouped enemies, as even a single pellet has the chance of causing a chain reaction of lightning bolts. Its fixed projectile pattern is also useful as it grants consistent accuracy, and the projectile pattern also makes it easier for all bullets to connect against humanoid opponents.
If no enemies are nearby, no shock bolts will occur, greatly reducing the effectiveness of the weapon.
Each link deals 10 damage tics over 2 seconds, and each enemy can be affected by 5 links at a time. With 5 enemies clumped together, the character can potentially be dealing over 25 damage tics per second. This comes into play with artifacts such as The Pearl of Ineffable Knowledge, as the Brainstormer's ability to damage multiple enemies simultaneously allows stacks to be gained incredibly quickly. Each link also trigger's FL4K's Megavore skill. Combined with the Head Count and Leave No Trace skills, the Brainstormer can recharge Fade Away in seconds and regenerate ammo constantly.
- Although the bolt's way of dealing damage may look similar to a Status effect, only gun damage modifiers are applied, not status effect modifiers. Thus, Amara's Anima skill cannot increase the duration of this effect.
- A Brainstormer with the Redundant prefix will consume 2 ammo per shot and fire 14 pellets, increasing the chances of causing more shock bolts.
- Other Brainstormers will always spawn with the Cash-Infused prefix due to the weapon's shock element.
- Bonus elemental damage from shields, grenade mods, or skills like Amara's Infusion and Forceful Expression, also increase the chance of causing more bolts.
- The term "let's put our heads together" is a term to pool ideas and work together. The name of the gun furthers this as to brainstorm is to come up with new ideas.
- The weapon's default skin is a modified version of the Storm's, albeit being a lighter color. In turn, it is similar to the Thunderhead weapon skin.
- The Reflux shares the Brainstormer's special effect.