Originally from Hieronymous, Axton spent ten years with the Dahl military force, reaching the rank of sergeant. After his pursuit of personal glory and disregard for orders led to numerous compromised missions, his wife and commanding officer Sarah simultaneously divorced him and discharged him from the military. Sarah made it a point to highlight that this would lead to his death by firing squad, then ordered him not to flee to any of the numerous border worlds beyond Dahl's reach. Taking her not-so-subtle suggestion, Axton went AWOL, using his skills and turret as a mercenary on other planets.
Axton became aware of the Vault thanks to a radio advertisement orchestrated by Handsome Jack, who had been monitoring the Commando's most recent bounty hunt. Although Axton was turning in more bounties and making far more money than anyone else in Sheriff Youngblood's jurisdiction, he found that it was too easy, and the lure of fame, fortune, and challenging combat drew him to Pandora.
Action skill: Sabre Turret
Axton is able to deploy a versatile Dahl Sabre Turret, a mounted gun featuring 360° rotation that can be upgraded with many weapons and abilities. The turret's duration is 20 seconds and its cooldown is 42 seconds.
Axton has 3 Skill trees:
- Main article: Class Mod (Borderlands 2)#Axton
- Main article: Axton/ECHO Recorders
- Main article: Axton/Quotes
- Axton's melee weapon is a tomahawk.
- With careful spending of 43 skill points, it is possible to get the turret featured in the opening title sequence with a level 47 Axton. (Double Up and Mag Lock)
- On the PlayStation Vita version, there is a glitch where Axton's voice will be replaced with Salvador's voice. The cause is unknown, but it was first noticed with his grunting when jumping.
- Axton's ex-wife Sarah was also his former commanding officer, and Axton wears her dog tag and wedding band.
- Axton is wanted for war crimes, and the bounty on his head is $5,000,000,000, which is the lowest among the six playable Vault Hunters in Borderlands 2.
- Axton has a dislike of cats.
- Although Axton's sexuality has had controversy, Axton is officially bisexual.
- Axton was to be executed by a firing squad, avoiding the execution only because he went AWOL and went to Pandora.
- If Axton is the chosen as the starting character, an ECHO log will be in the inventory about Axton and his wife, Sarah. It plays the dialogue between them of Sarah discharging Axton from the military and suggesting that he go AWOL to the border worlds. She also gave him back her wedding ring, saying she never liked diamonds.
- When Axton deploys his Sabre Turret, he sometimes addresses it with pet names such as "sweetie", "honey", "the Mrs.", or his "girlfriend".
- Axton's quote "throwing a masher" is a reference to the nickname of the German Model 24 grenade "the potato masher".
- Axton's quote "oscar-mike" is a phonetic alphabet delivery of the letter "O" and "M". This a military acronym used most often by infantrymen meaning 'on the move'.
- Axton's Class Mod is represented by the device mounted on his right shoulder.
- Axton apparently had a dispute with Tiny Tina, having said some things that made her throw dynamite at him.
- By the events of Borderlands 3, Axton has since become a model as one of Moze's Iron Bear skins prominently features a half-naked pin-up of Axton.
- Merchandise featuring Axton has also become available as an ECHO recording in Claw and Order mentions a life-sized body pillow of Axton and a model of his Sabre Turret.
- Axton's Skill Tree
- (See Lynchwood ECHO recordings)